Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidnjenny

unidentified pears

DavidnJenny
9 years ago

We recently purchased a home with several fruit trees and we are trying to identify the variety of the pears in this picture.

Comments (13)

• Tony
    9 years ago

I guess either Bartlett or Keiffer pear.

Tony

• maryhawkins99
    9 years ago

Where do you live?

If you live in texas it's not a Bartlett!

• 2010champsbcs
    9 years ago

bhawkins. If you live in Alabama or most nearby states it's not a Bartlet.

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

The pears look to be a cross of European and Asian pears based on foliage. I would guess kiefer but they lack the typical semi rounded fruit characterics.

• curtis
    9 years ago

There are a ton of varieties. You might be able to narrow it down by asking at the local nurseries. If you look up info the varieties they can name you might find a match in details with yours. Don't so much expect them to be smart, just be able to look up names of what they have sold. On my brothers old place there was the "good pear" and the "bad pear". He lived there 10 years and never did the foot work at the local nurseries. Most people who have one or two trees bought them locally in pots rather then shipped dormant bare root.

• maryhawkins99
    9 years ago

If edible, sweet, but very hard with grit cells--keiffer. If they become soft and taste like supermarket pears after some time in the fridge and counter, bartletts maybe.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Orchard fruit cultivars are told by both the external and internal features of the fruits, including flavor, texture, juiciness and aroma.

• DavidnJenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We live in Utah for those who asked. I didn't even think about that making a difference!

Thanks for the responses. We really appreciate the help.

• DavidnJenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We live in Utah for those who asked. I didn't even think about that making a difference!

Thanks for the responses. We really appreciate the help.

• maryhawkins99
    9 years ago

I bet you can grow both bartletts and Keiffers in Utah.

Trial and error eating them will narrow down the possibilities. If edible off the tree it's an Asian-euro hybrid, probably keiffer, or a certain few European pears. Most European pears need to be picked when ripe, placed in the fridge, and then put on a counter for a couple days.

Knowing when a euro pear is ripe is something of an art. How long they need to be in the fridge depends on the type of pear; so trial and error!

This post was edited by bhawkins on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 15:18

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

A few certain prevalent European cultivars such as 'Bartlett' are eaten off the tree.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

I agree. If ripe take a few to a local nursery that sells fruit trees (pears would be nice) for evaluation. A branch with leaves (and spacing can help). And when they are ripe helps too.

• maryhawkins99
    9 years ago

Bartletts are eaten fresh off the tree? I didn't know that they don't grow here. Thanks!