Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northwoodswis4

English walnuts, etc., for zone 4 .

northwoodswis4
9 years ago

In the Stark Bros catalog they list several things I have never seen growing around here, such as pawpaws, Oriental pears, and persimmons, as zone 4. I wrote to them to see if they knew if anyone in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area had successfully grown their Northern Prize Walnut (zone 4). They replied they knew of no one, but encouraged me to try it. I am wondering if anyone on here has grown and harvested it. We enjoyed English walnuts from our father's tree in California, but I hesitate to spend $36.99 plus shipping for something that will never produce nuts for me here. (I don't care for black walnuts.) I did order Starks' Prime-Ark Freedom blackberry, hoping to cover the small patch with layers of styrofoam blocks glued together over winter. They list that also as zone 4, but other companies list it as zones 6-8, so I don't totally believe Starks' zone ratings. Their nursery stock has generally been fine otherwise. My spouse wondered aloud today as I was planting some items would we still have teeth to eat them by the time they begin to produce. (We are senior citizens). Northwoodswis

Comments (5)