Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pomegranate Questions

Posted by Kippy-the-Hippy 10 Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 1:29

I got a pair of pomegranates on the end of the season sale, Parfianka and Eversweet, I would like to grow them more as a hedge/screen.

But, can they deal with some shade? The neighbors have a massive oak tree at the opposite side of the property from my pome zone, but the tree throws a lot of shade at various times of the day/year.

And if I move my other pome, Red Angel, to add to the screen, when is the best time to move one? It has only been planted a couple of years but it seems to want to be more a bush than a taller tree shape so rather than fight with it I would like to move.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pomegranate Questions

If you are in one of those very sunny parts of CA you can put up with several hours of shade a day - then you will be down to east coast conditions :-) It all depends on how many hours, I would say you need 5-6 hours of sun.

Poms can be moved any time they are fully dormant (no leaves).

Scott

o

Kippy,

They will grow with the shade but fruit production will be reduced to some degree. You can move the plants when dormant and they take the move pretty well. I ended up moving an entire hedge of them, almost 200 feet long when I fenced the property. Did not lose any but did slow them down some. Some of the poms were an evergreen variety and they were not happy with the move but recovered.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 11:22

My poms sit in a bit of a grotto where they get about 6hrs of full sun, but they get reflective heat and light, which makes for bright shade for the rest of the day. You may have an issue if the shade is deep, dark and cool like you would see on the north side of a building.

I've never transplanted poms, but I don't think it would be too difficult with a smallish tree. There are a couple of different schools of thought on how to do it, and since poms are pretty forgiving, just pick a reliable resource and follow their instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: transplanting pomegranate trees

o

Thanks for the link MrClint, I had done a google search too. My plant is small, not that much bigger than the 2 newly purchased plants so pruning and digging up is not that big of a challenge.

Thanks for the shade info Bamboo. The giant CA Oak is a real problem in our yard. It has already over taken a few trees in the yard and pretty well killed them off from the shade. But I think it is close to the limit of how much it can grow and this is the opposite corner. The persimmons do well there. I have been watching my planting holes, the shade comes and goes through out the day. It is at its worst in the winter, but the pomes are dormant then anyway.

Thanks Scott. I was hoping some one would have info that they transplant well any time....lol I am impatient. But since the garden has many things for me to finish up, I will have a great hole waiting for the day the leaves are done falling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here