Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with Cherry seeds

Posted by Roslyn.S none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 4:25

Well I wanna know that should I simply put the seeds or is there any other method? Because I planted some seeds one month back and they haven't sprouted yet, and when I got seeds out and opened them up they rotted inside the hard covering....

What's going wrong? Because I preserved lots of cherry seeds, so did they all also rotted in?

Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with Cherry seeds

First thing first. Its a GENERAL rule that most fruit trees do not grow true from seed. That means the tree that grows from the seed of the fruit you ate, wont be the same as that tree.

That being said. Sweet cherries have a decent chance to produce something desierable, or at very least a root stock. I do believe there is a chance youll get something similar to the parent. Stone fruits (peaches, plums etc) usually come close to the parent, but it is still a gamble.

Now, sweet cherries tend to need warm stratification as well as cold stratification. That means they need to sit in warm temps and cool off in winter, and go though the cold to germinate.

There are 2 ways, which start off the same - Eat those cherries! Make sure that the pits are as clean as you can possily get them and soak them in water for a few days, changig the water daily. Makeing sure they are clean as possible. You can also disinfect them using a 1:10 000 ratio of bleach and water (that eans one teaspoon of bleach to 10 teaspoons of water) GIve em a soak in there for a minute, rinse in cold water.

This is where things differ.

You can toss em in a bag of clean seed mix, and make sure they arent completely buried. Keep them out of sun. You can do this in induvidual pots, or in a baggie.

From here you can either 1) Leave them outside in shade until it gets cold, then put them in the fridge for 90 days, or 2) Keep them covered and leave them outside. From what ive heard this is the easiest way because it makes sure they get the fluctuating temps in spring, which breaks down germination inhibitors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here