Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grapevine

Posted by PeterS1938 UK (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 4:37

Hi
I have a three year old grapevine and I am training it into four cordens but when I watch online videos they demonstrate a two corden set up.My vine looks extremely healthy but I am wondering if having four cordens is going to be detrimental to its health and quality of produce?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Peter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grapevine

Peter:

I've found the four cordon, two level, system of little value. The bottom level lacks vigor and is shaded by the upper level so doesn't really contribute much to yield. For those reasons I've gone to a one level canopy. Depending on the trellis this could involve two, four, or rarely more canes.

Yield is determined by canopy area and light interception plus the number of bunches retained. I thin pretty heavily because I'd rather have a modest yield of very high quality fruit vs a huge yield of mediocre fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here