Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonytranomaha

Emerald Beaut plum

Tony
10 years ago

If you have not taste Emerald Beaut plum and want to try. Sam's is selling them right now. They are so sweet and juicy. Hopefully, my tree will fruit next year.

Tony

This post was edited by tonytran on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 7:19

Comments (10)

• persianmd2orchard
    10 years ago

Dang! I wish I had a Sam's Club membership thanks for posting. Maybe slight chance Costco will have em.

Thanks a lot for posting the heads up!

• fruitcraz
    10 years ago

Fruitnut, Scott.

I let these EB sat on a counter for 5 more days. They started to wrinlkle a bit. Oh my goodness, they were honey sweet and so juicy. Fn, this is your kind of plum. I may have to go to Sam's and get some more this afternoon

Tony

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

I think I will give that one a try out here in the Northeast. Sounds like a total winner for the home orchard as DW claims it holds on the tree for 2 months from first becoming palatable only to keep getting sweeter and sweeter.

It will probably crack in the rain here but I have to try it. Problem is that once it cracks the ants will move in so you have to pick. It also may ripen too late to reach high quality here.

Strangely, they don't mention that it can turn golden when fully ripe and describe it instead as a green plum.

• Biomed
    10 years ago

Looks like a bigger version of Shiro. I will give it a try.

• andrew_swmo
    10 years ago

Emerald Beaut rots badly in humid climate. This was also ace of spades description of it. I dug my tree out this summer after two years in the ground. I tasted one ripe fruit from the tree last year and the color was green, not yellow. I doubt that the picture above is for a real Emeral Beaut plum.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

Emerald Beaut is probably too late for the NE. And the holding ability won't be an asset when it is marginal on getting ripe in the first place. I'd suspect in MO it was green rather than turning yellow because it wasn't ripe there either. It would certainly be rot prone holding on the tree for two months.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

If it is firm it is probably not particularly rot prone and I'm not scared of rot- I grow late nectarines, after all. If it ripens in Aug in CA it may ripen here in Oct but I think the only way to find out is try if no one else has.

I doubt it would have ripened this year as I still have two Elephant heart plums on one tree in my nursery. Never had them much past Aug before.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

I checked out the ripening chart of DW nursery and I don't see how lateness should be too much an issue as they actually start ripening before Elephant Heart but have a longer picking season than any other plum. I figure here that would mean into mid-Oct. The fruit itself wouldn't be damaged by hard frost most years until sometime in Nov.

Usually rot pressure goes down in Sept so I'm very curious how the plum would do in the northeast. 10 years ago no one grew Satsuma here.

• vincentkim8b
    8 years ago

I just ordered one from Raintree nursery to plant in Seattle area. Let's see how it does in the next few year.