Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evilei

Pawpaw trees

evilei
10 years ago

Does anyone know anything about pawpaws? Specifically, do they all ripen at the same time? How do you know they are ripe? Any tips on preserving or recipes?
Thanks

Comments (7)

• Charlie
    10 years ago

Like many other fruits they tend to ripen within a similar time frame, say a couple of weeks. When they start to get spots, they are ripe. After they turn darker, I don't like the flavor. Another problem is the seeds. The seeds make them difficult to extract the flesh. Here are some recipes.

1. PAWPAW CHIFFON PIE
    INGREDIENTS:
    1ý Tbsp gelatin ü cup cold water
    ý cup sugar, brown or white ý tsp salt
    3 egg yolks, beaten ý cup milk
    1 cup pureed fresh pawpaw pulp
    3 egg whites
    ü cup white sugar 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
    1 baked 9-inch pastry shell
    DIRECTIONS:
    Soften the gelatin in cold water. Combine the ý cup sugar with the salt, egg yolks, and milk in the top of a double boiler. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until mixture coats a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in softened gelatin and pawpaw puree. Chill until a spoonful holds its shape (about half an hour). Beat the egg whites stiff with ü cup of white sugar. Fold the egg whites and half of the whipped cream into the filling. Pour into the baked pastry shell. Spread remaining whipped cream on top of the pie.
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    2. PAWPAW CHIFFON PIE
    INGREDIENTS: (small pie)
    1 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour or 2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 cup milk
    1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg
    1 1/2 cups pawpaw, peeled and seeded

DIRECTIONS:
    Place all ingredients into stew pan and stir together. Cook over medium heat until thickened. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake until the crust is done.

• alexander3_gw
    10 years ago

Give the tree a shake, and the ripe ones will fall. They should feel a bit soft. If you pick them just as they are beginning to soften by the stem, they can ripen off the tree, but if you pick them earlier, they will not.

You can keep them in the fridge for a couple weeks, especially if they are just getting ripe.

Alex

• evilei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both so much! I'm so excited to get fruit, this is my 4th season with these guys & I think I'll finally get to try one.
    Ei

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Hope you like the fruits.
    Most folks who've had the opportunity to sample them fall into two camps: those who find them delectable, and those who find them disgustingly insipid.

I used to like them - a lot. But now, I can eat one pawpaw, and don't care if I have another one for another 2-3 years. I'm not taking out the ones I have growing now, but I'm not planning to plant any more.

This post was edited by lucky_p on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 11:49

• evilei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Official results of our taste test unanimously 'Mitchell' is the better tasting fruit & also the more prolific tree. Sunflower was no where near as flavorful but still good.

We all pretty much agree that they have the texture of a banana but taste like a mango.

This was my fourth season with my trees. They were planted in the fall so there were no fruit at all the first year, second year one tree got one fruit which disappeared. Third year there were three fruits all of which disappeared.

This year I was a little more diligent but also the trees fruited better. Mitch produced about 10 & Sunny just 2.
    Exciting stuff!

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Fourth year is pretty good.I've heard it taking almost double of that. Brady

• evilei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't plant them from seed. They were about three foot tall little trees when I put them in so maybe that's why it took less time.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012