Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any info on what I can grow in Uruguay?

Posted by price403 Zone 6b, WV (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 7:33

I'm thinking of moving to Uruguay and want to find as much information on what I can grow there before I go. I already know I can grow most of my vegetable varieties, but I have no idea what fruits/nuts will grow there. I've seen a little information on what is produced commercially, but nothing on what people grow in their back yards. Can anybody help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any info on what I can grow in Uruguay?

If you are going to Montevideo I found the climate data below. Mild all year around with 3-4 inches rain every month. Citrus and other subtropicals will do well. You could also grow things like apples. Stone fruit would be difficult with that much rain and humidity. There should be lots of fruit planted around homes in that type climate. Learn from the locals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Montevideo climate

o

The most limiting factor when growing apples in the tropics is excessive rainfall during blossoming, which keeps pollinators from flying and knocks the petals off; it looks like that won't be a problem for you; there is enough of a change between seasons however that you won't be getting two crops a year as is common around the equator. Florida Prince peach will also be no problem.

o

Thanks for the info, everybody! I'm going to try and get on a expat forum and see if anybody there has any more info on varieties of fruits. I'll post what I find here in case anybody else is thinking about going south.

o

I always love posts like this because they make me think about the climate, etc. in other places.

price, I'm not sure that you'd want to grow apples and stone fruit, simply because you would have so many other more exotic things to try. While you might not be able to grow true tropicals like mangoes and coconuts, there are many many things to choose from in the "subtropical" group.

In a similar humid subtropical climate in Japan, the following seemed to grow out of cracks in the pavement:
- citrus, many types
- persimmon
- fig
- pomegranate
- kiwi
- ume
- loquat
- avocado
- temperate fruits (apple, pear, cherry, plum, peach, etc..)

o

Feijoa is native to parts of nearby Paraguay, but I think it is at higher elevations.

o

Here's the most extensive list of what can be grown almost anywhere in the country of Uruguay. Some fruits/vegetables do better the farther north you go since the winters are warmer in the north.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good list of what can be grown in Uruguay

o

Visited Buenos Aires not far away from MV many years ago. My recollection is that it had a climate not unlike Paris, France. Not subtropical. Think I'd investigate European plums in a climate like that.

o

You can grow darn near anything. I think Mangoes are a no.

Join Sociedad Southron for local information about Uruguay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here