Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahgrower

Muscadine Destruction/Need Help Please!

ahgrower Horne
9 years ago

Hi All,
My harvest has finally arrived after waiting 2 long years and I have dreamed of this time only find that the wasps, hornets, yellowjackets (definitely not bees) have had the same dream. LOL. Anyway, I caught this little culprit putting a hole in one of the muscadines and my first reaction was to swat the little monster but he got away and then I thought about it and realize that he could have stung me real good...I can't use pesticides because this is the time to pluck and eat on sight but I cannot do this if those little critters are ruining my fruit before I can get to it. Anyway, I am going to get netting to cover about 30 feet of trellis space, I just need to know where I can buy the netting with the smallest holes on line and I need to know what size holes I need to ask for when purchasing it. Can someone help me? I did not get a big harvest since it is my first year of reaping, but I want to taste what did make it on the vines! Please help me fellow gardeners and thanks so much!

Comments (9)

• gator_rider2
    9 years ago

You need look for there nest they make spray can shoot 27 foot best done night all be at home on nest I buy 2 cans a year to keep population down. Do good scouting job today and tonight be ready if live close to other people they may have nest show them nest ask you destroy late evening. nest be under something out rain I got one in old mail box out back this year. Wasp feeding on old pears now on ground.

• ahgrower Horne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Gator rider2,
    I thank you for your suggestion. So far, I have not seen many of the wasps at all. I will look for their nest though. Do you ever use netting on your trellis or arbor? I guess I could apply both techniques, the spray and the netting. Thanks again gator rider 2!

• gator_rider2
    9 years ago

Your muscadine fruit out number wasp next year on. No never net any plants I pick from under vines at that time if wasp pressure heavy I go looking watching they will make nest at trellis post if dry once get more fruit they stay on ones on ground feeding cracking and over ripe fruit deer eat off vines in day time and few feet away they feel safe under canopy.

• ahgrower Horne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay Gator Rider 2,
    You have given me good advice. I will go looking because I am determined to outwit those wasps and the like. I am going to do what I have to do next year. What is the name of the spray that you use?

• gator_rider2
    9 years ago

Wasp and Hornet killer I think they all kill brand makes no difference.

• ferroplasm Zone 7b
    9 years ago

Why not make a wasp trap out of a 2 liter bottle? You can do a google image search and see what I mean. Bait it with sugary soda or the like.

• copingwithclay
    9 years ago

Planting more vines will not necessarily quadruple your wasp population in future years, but will give you better odds of being able to enjoy your grapes. The netting will also help when possums and raccoons start hanging out there at night during harvest season.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

Make or buy some traps, they work. I was getting major wasp damage until I got traps.

Scott

• ahgrower Horne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks All for the great suggestions!
    I will make a wasp trap with the 2-liter bottle of sugary solution, and buytraps as well. I take you all at your word, I am going to use every suggestion until I get some kind of control over this situation! It is enough to do all the work in maintaining the vines, the waiting, the anticipating only to have the wasps attack the fruit. No Sir! And I will also go back to my original idea and get netting with the tiniest holes if nothing else works. Thanks so much everyone, I love this website. Next season, I will let you know how it turned out and what I did...