Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning my peach trees

Posted by PaulPoulin none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 8:15

Stone fruit trees took a huge hit here in Michigan this year and my 3 little peach trees did not escape early blooming then frosting off of 100% the blooms. Oh boo hoo! Well now my trees look as healthy as they ever have because they hadn no peaches on them to support this summer. I had a big peach leaf curl problem last season but I was able to defeat that and had high hopes for this summer. Soooo! I want to prune them pretty hard to open up the center for next season and then cross my fingers. WHEN is the best time for me to do this?? It is my understanding that in January when everything is still frozen is the right time. Any peach-o-philes in here? Thanks in advance for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning my peach trees

I was just told that traditional major pruning is done when the trees are dormant or to reduce the threat of canker do it when the tree is starting out of dormancy. I plan to take down the central leader myself next Spring, unless something changes my mind as I continue to follow more threads. :)

o
RE: Pruning my peach trees

Early spring, shortly before or after growth is considered the best time to prune peaches in cold regions. Mid-winter pruning can cause bark injury if followed by very low temps and also may increase canker risk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here