Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Winter care of TC blackberry, raspberries too

2ajsmama
11 years ago

Hi, I've searched and can't really find how I'm supposed to get my primocanes through the winter to bear next year. I planted 5 TC BBs, 5 Killarney raspberries, and 5 Encore RB (only 3 made it, but I've got some suckers I can move to those spaces) in early May this year after the April freezes were over. The RBs have suckered pretty nicely, I did get a few fruit and know I can prune those canes off now (and cut the original canes even if they didn't fruit). The TC grew 6-7ft long, I tried bending them over and tip-rooting but only 1 seems to have rooted - not sure what I can do with the other 3-4 long primocanes at this point.

They're in raised beds, with bark mulch (decomposing/sliding off the slopes) right now, should I put burlap down for winter (removed when I started seeing suckers)? Cover with old hay? What about the canes? I can lay the TC PCs down, they're so long, but they do grow straight up for a couple of ft b4 they start curving, I also don't want them to root all along the length if I lay them down to cover for the winter. And of course the RBs are erect, I can't lay them down.

Put up hoops and cover like a low tunnel for the winter (so snow won't break the canes)? What can I cover them with that will keep them warm enough if hoops are 2-3ft high?

Not trellised yet - figured we could build trellis next year, didn't expect TC canes to get so long the 1st year.

Comments (5)