Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prepping new strawberry bed for winter?

Posted by ajsmama 5b (NW CT) (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 8:47

Hi, I planted 30 crowns from Freecycle (so don't know what cultivar, but a June-bearing) in early April. They came through the freezes the end of that month and started sending out runners like crazy this summer. I pinched all blossoms off, and didn't mow them "after fruiting" since they didn't fruit and I was still trying to get them to spread in July - which they did (still sending out runners!).

So, how to prep them for winter? Should I thin them out (my matted rows are basically just a solid mat!), cut off runners, mow or weedwhack the leaves (how far down?)?

What about covering for the winter? Got down to low 40's a couple times the past few weeks, so far so good, but first frost isn't too far off. I was thinking of covering with burlap and then old hay, but is that too heavy a covering? Last winter was mild (except for 2ft of snow from freak Halloween storm), but the winter before had record-breaking snowfall amounts - actually I think I worry more about bitter cold without snow cover to insulate.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prepping new strawberry bed for winter?

Let them get through several frosts before covering. You want the ground to be frozen solid before you cover them. You want to keep them frozen all winter, the covering of straw is to keep them cold. Otherwise, freeze-thaw cycles will hoist the shallow plants out of the ground. Uncover them in the spring a bit before the last frost, but keep the mulch handy in case the early flowers get caught in a late frost.

It's probably too late to thin them, that's best done in July or August. I think thinning might stress them too much before the winter, and there isn't a lot of time left to overcome stresses. Don't worry too much, they'll still produce fruit!

I wouldn't worry about mowing them, the frosts will kill the leaves eventually. I think the extra "fluff" from leaves actually protects the crown of the plant, a bit.

o

Thanks - should I cut off the runners that haven't rooted yet? Thin in the spring (and maybe transplant the excess/daughter plants)?

I don't have straw, just old weathered hay and burlap. I was thinking burlap might be best to put down first, so I don't have to pick hay out of the bed in the spring?

o

The hay will mat down over the winter, you'll want to keep a bit of mulch on it to keep the strawberries out of the dirt.
Probably thin next summer after the fruit is done. Otherwise you might spur the plants to grow, rather than fruiting. I imagine whatever runners haven't rooted will be killed by frost, so you can save yourself time and not worry about them.

o

The strawberries are mulched with bark mulch right now, I pulled it aside to root the runners, but a lot rooted themselves, I guess it decomposed over the summer. I was thinking burlap over the plants and hay over that, remove both early April and put down new mulch around the plants to keep berries out of the dirt. Though some spots are so thickly grown I can't even *see* any dirt!

Or do I need to get some kind of mulch down in between the plants in the next month or so?

o

No, your plan sounds fine.

o

Great, thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here