Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leave it or clip it? Orange globs on apple branch

Posted by megamav 5a - NY (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 9:28

At first glance I thought "Fire Blight".
But this tree didnt blossom this year, and I think we're out of that window.

They appear to be in a straight line.
Caterpillar eggs?
Leave it or clip it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leave it or clip it? Orange globs on apple branch

I'd only clip if the eggs are laid in the bark as by cicada. If it's eggs on the surface just scrape them off. If it's not eggs then I'm out of ideas unless you can post a closeup picture.

o

For fear that it is very likely fireblight, regardless of not being springtime, personally to be safe I would prune off that end of the branch plus another 3 or 4 inches. When I see orange ooze.... well, I am thinking it is very likely the beginnings of fireblight. A little overkill on detection and prevention now could save you a lot of heartache later if it did end up to be blight.

o

There are what appear to be dimples in the bark in a straight line, some have these orange sack like pieces. It doesnt look wet like ooze, but looks skin like.

I may just clip it anyway, the branch is stunted.

o

If you are going to clip it, I would take it down to my local county extension service and leave it for evaluation. In a few days you will get a call or a note explaining your problem. Its free and more reliable than what you should expect from your fellow gardeners. Al

o

I clipped it down to a 3/4" nub, the end of the nub was green.
I think it is fire blight, there are a few other places on it including a stretch mark that had a orangish hue to it.

How could I have contracted fire blight if this tree didnt blossom this year? Aphids?

Cali, thanks for the advice, ill bring it to the coop in town today.

For reference, this variety is Orleans Reinette.

o

Those marks in a straight line aren't fire blight. Looks a lot more like cicada egg laying site.

Was the tip of the branch blackened and bent over in usual FB fashion?

o

It wasnt black but it wasnt doing well.
It looked shriveled, and the leaves at the end were curling.
What bothered me most was the orange color, and that I see it in more than 1 spot.
Let me get another pic...

-Eric
----------------------------------------------------

o
Re: Leave it or clip it? Orange globs on apple branch

Here is another, you'll need to look close, but you can see orange on the stretch mark on the bark to the left of the line of orange.
Makes me think its the beginning stages of fireblight.

o

Got a letter back from the Cooperative Extension.
This damage was reviewed under a microscope and turns out to be from leaf hoppers.

As I was reading the letter I looked down at my shorts... sure enough... a leaf hopper clinging to me.

o

would you post a pic of the leaf hopper for us? Thank you
Tim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here