Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

Michigan lacking the sunshine

franktank232
9 years ago

This might explain some fruit issues in Michigan this fall:

"An analysis of the insolation, or incoming light from the sun, reveals that 2014 has the lowest level of accumulated sunlight, measured from June 1 to Sept. 22, 2014, in the 18 years the automated weather system has been acquiring data (see graphs at end of article). This year was also a low growing degree day (GDD) accumulation year, lower than any year except 2009 in the time period examined. Interestingly, the maximum amount of light reaching the fruit tree canopy for a given season seems to be declining over the last 18 years. That means the brightest day for 2014 was approximately 10 percent less bright than the late 90s.

Finally, the relative amount of light for 2014 is about 12 percent less than the average for the last 18 years. Taken together, the data suggests that this was a tough year for fruit trees to accumulate photosynthate; it was cool and cloudy. The tree must make decisions about how to allocate the carbon it takes up, so as some of it is put away for next year, there is less to spare for the fruit, leading to low sugar levels. It may well be that these low sugar levels are also slowing development of the fruit as measured by our low ethylene levels."

This is in Sparta, MI...

link

Comments (8)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Yikes, how will Drew get past another strike for his beloved MI. They'll never unseat CA as number 1 fruit state at this rate.....;-) Oh, wait CA ran out of water and will need to take out trees!!!!

Hey Drew I'm just kidding!!

They could do like I do and use reflective fabric on the orchard floor. Alternative is open up the canopy and thin off more fruit.

Texas has no shot of filling the void. The polar vortex has us in it's cross hairs!!

• ericwi
    9 years ago

We have had considerable sunlight here in Madison, Wisconsin. But we have also had abundant and possibly excessive rainfall, and that pattern seems to have developed in the last decade or so. Iowa has also been affected with an unusual amount of summer thunderstorm activity, with abundant rainfall.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one is crazy..I wonder what is going on here...?

{{gwi:123879}}

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Interesting post Frank. I don't have any numbers handy, but it seems to be true of what's going on here in Maryland as well. What I notice seems to be happening is seasonal shift, where spring pushes further into traditional summer months and fall begins sooner.

Interestingly, the maximum amount of light reaching the fruit tree canopy for a given season seems to be declining over the last 18 years. That means the brightest day for 2014 was approximately 10 percent less bright than the late 90s.

No way is the above true. I think they misworded this. It also seems as though this was edited down, because there was nothing presented to support the last sentence in that paragraph.

The graph Frank posted was likely done using solar panel output as an indicator. They are showing Watts per square meter per day. I hope these numbers are skewed in some way or inaccurate because if they are correct this is very troubling.
    One possible issue is that if the same set-up is used for monitoring (and I'd guess it was) solar panels themselves would have about a 15% reduction in output over a 20 year period simply due to degradation. They are all rated at 85% in 25 years rated output, but rated outputs are about 5-7% lower than true output when they are new. This could and probably did account for the lion's share of the recorded loss of solar insolation.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

This might explain why I like tart fruit, because only fruit that depends on sugar is not going to be good here!!
    Really it kinda makes sense!!
    Fruit that wherever it's grown that has less sugar is going to do ok here.
    Yes, no way can we overtake CA, but we produce more peaches than most states, well at least 44 of them, so we produce enough to make it worthwhile to grow. On average that is, some years more, some less. I think once we were the 3rd leading producer of peaches when the south had a bad year. We produce a fair amount of apples, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries and vegetables etc. You use what you got. That is what I'm proud of, for our conditions and such we do a good job. Speaking of sugar one main crop here is beats, for sugar, how ironic is that?

So we don't produce the best, or the most, but have a large diversity (2nd ONLY to CA) and so I can enjoy the selection at the farmer's{{gwi:807}} market better than most states. Each state has it's strong{{gwi:807}} points. And each should be proud of that fact.

Here's some facts about MI. I think impressive for just another Midwestern state.
    Michigan grows a wide variety of specialty crops
    each year, and our farmers take pride in growing
    high quality{{gwi:807}}, diverse products. The state leads the
    nation in the production of several crops, including
    dry beans, red tart cherries, blueberries, squash,
    nine floriculture products (including hanging
    baskets, Easter lilies, geraniums, petunias, and
    impatiens), and cucumbers for pickles. Michigan
    also ranks in the top 10 for 63 other commodities.
    Michigan agriculture{{gwi:807}} contributes $91.4 billion
    annually to the stateâÂÂs economy, second in diversity
    only to California.

Oh, I wanted to mention that 3 main areas of MI are used for growing peaches and one of them is 30 miles from me. So I'm in a good micro-climate for peaches. Hey Red Haven is ours, and the Stellar and Flamin' Fury series, not bad for one state in the north! Olpea reported FF7a was very hardy this year, one I should look at! I think we have another bad year coming! I think the next decade is going to be cold here, bummer, but we are over due!

Oh I would like to inform GW, that my words, are my words, and if they want to insert links in them, i only charge 10 dollars a link. PM me for where you can send payment checks.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 8:46

• steve333_gw
    9 years ago

I have noticed a similar trend last winter here in CO. Anecdotal, since I do not have any calibrated instrumentation setup. Our home is passive solar, with a variety of backup heat sources. On a typical winter day the house will heat itself from solar gain, and we build a supplemental wood fire a few hours after dark depending on the outside temps.

Well this last winter, we ended up building daytime fires to supplement heat on about 50% of the days. Way more than usual. It was just cloudier a whole lot more than most winters.

That same trend seems to be carrying over to the summer growing season. Not necessarily more total precip, but many more cloudy days.

Appleseed, I agree with your figures on PV panel decline, but I would hope that whatever instruments they are using to gather this data, they have them calibrated, at least yearly. If not, their data is next to useless. Assuming that their data comes from well maintained and calibrated instruments, then this pattern is worrisome, especially if it continues. Let's hope it is just a blip.

• skyjs
    9 years ago

It's weird. Last year here in the PNW we broke the record for most heat units. This year we blew that record wide open. I guess we're getting your heat units. We're supposed to be a "cool weather state".
    John S
    PDX OR

• kbk00
    9 years ago

Interesting article. I'm sure the testing equipment has been very accurately calibrated for panel/instrument degradation throughout the life if the testing. The values are accurate, I'm sure. It would be nice to see other studies, though!

Wisconsin has been cool and generally cloudy for a while now. I would suspect we have the same issue as our neighbor. It's interesting since the last measured quarter showed the earth's temp was the highest on record. Just not in the Midwest though!