Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pecan girdler?

Posted by cousinfloyd NC 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 9:59

Yesterday I found the top 18" or so of a fairly young pecan tree -- it was about 5' tall -- lying on the ground. I thought at first that some person must have accidentally cut the top out, but on closer inspection it looked like something might have chewed a little channel about 1/8" tall and deep all the way around the roughly 1/2" diameter stem and that the middle had then broken out. Do I really have some kind of terrorist bug at work? At least it did its work high enough that tree can regrow from well above the graft. I'm familiar with cutworms in the garden, but I haven't noticed anything like this with trees before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pecan girdler?

I had that problem with my young apricot trees. It was a rabbit, in my case, loving the sweet bark. Pecans are sweet too!

Just found out I can grow Pecans in RI Am very excited! Mrs. G

o

Common problem here - the twig girdlers really seem to like pecan, hickory, persimmon - but those are the species that I've been actively planting, so I don't know if they have a preference for them, or if it's just disconcerting to me when I find the damage they've done.
That said, I don't know that I've ever noticed them attacking any of my young oaks... or walnuts, etiher, for that matter.

o

Lucky, do you ever completely lose trees (or grafts) because of twig girdlers on pecans, hickories, or persimmons?

o

best to burn/dispose of the girdled wood. I believe they have laid eggs in the branch

o

Many times I'll find the inch long, gray beetle on the fallen branches. The branches are riddled with eggs. To prevent attacks, I painstakingly wrap aluminum foil around susceptible branches in the month prior to seeing the adults. Leave wrapped until long after. Only young trees are practically done this way, but it preserves your scaffold-training.

o

Not sure I've ever had 'em completely remove a graft, but it could happen.
Drove down to my #1 shellbark hickory on Friday to gather some nuts - lots of small branches - most about 2 ft long, here and there on the ground, courtesy of twig girdler activity. Not a problem for this 70+ yr old tree, though. The little bit of 'pruning' they did will have no adverse effect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here