Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Persimmon graft finally leafed out after 2 months

Posted by Fruitcraz none6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 10:10

I grafted a yates persimmon 2 months ago and it finally leafed out. The temperature at that time was around 90 degree. I know it was a little late to graft but I tried it anyway. I kept on checking it every other day but nothing happen.. I thought it was dead. A week ago I scratched the bark of the scionwood and it was still green. I continue to rubbed off all the new shoot under the graft union. And today it finally leafed out. Awsome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Persimmon graft finally leafed out after 2 months

Fruitcraz

I also have some persimmon and pawpaw that I grafted late. With the persimmon I am concerned that there will not be enough growth and time to harden off before a freeze, so that there will be a bud ready for next spring. They are in pots, so I might have to take them inside for a while until the new buds can harden off.
I never tried this before, so I am not sure what the results will be.

Benny

o

Fruitcraz,

Congratulation on your successful graft. You can extent the growing season a bit by building a small wooden rectangle frame over your young graft and cover it with a clear trash bag in late October before frost set in. That will give you a little bit more time for your graft to harden up. To prepare for winter protection, you can anchor the new tree to a wooden stick and protect it by wrapping your young graft with dry hays and electrical tape and cover it with any trash bag to prevent water log. Remember to remove the protection in February when the milder weather set in to prevent early budding. This method save some of my late grafts. Good luck.

Tony

o

Tony thanks.

o

Believe it or not, I once had an apple graft that I made in the spring and it didn't leaf out until the following year. It is still growing 3 years later, but not vigorously.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here