Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fabaceae_native

Burnt Ridge versus One Green World...

fabaceae_native
11 years ago

Anybody have a preference between these two? I've only ordered from BR because the prices are so much better, but I've been very satisfied. What I'm wondering is whether OGW sends larger plants for the extra money you pay? All I can verify from the two catalogs is that their pawpaw plants are the same size, because they list the same pot size, and they cost much less through BR.

There are a number of things OGW offers that BR does not, and of course their catalog is also more informative and useful as a resource.

Comments (27)

• Ivywild142
    11 years ago

I really do prefer BR not only for their better prices but for their customer service. OGW has fallen some on customer service. I have ordered from both places and just feel BR is still small enough to take care of their customers better. I have had multiple experiences with both businesses. I like the selection at OGW. I have had better success with plants from BR. If I had to grade them, BR= B+ , OGW=B- so both are good.

• bob_z6
    11 years ago

The 4 trees (apricot, plum, jujube, and mulberry) that Burnt Ridge sent me last year were all very nice, particularly the Apricot (~7/8" caliper) and Mulberry (3/4"). They sent a bit late in the season- I ordered the first week of April and they sent them the 2nd week of May, but all did well. The 2 berries they sent me were much smaller(one has done well, the other is iffy). I haven't ordered from OGW, but I wouldn't hesitate to get trees from Burnt Ridge again.

• chills71
    11 years ago

burnt ridge gets an order from me every year. One Green World once in a great while and only if I can't get the plant locally or from BR.

Shipping is cheaper from BR too.

~Chills

• Tony
    11 years ago

I ordered quite a few trees from BR. High quality trees.

Tony

• franktank232
    11 years ago

I like Burnt Ridge, some of their plants are wonderful, but then they'll throw a few stinkers in... Their kiwis were fantastic that I got, but I would caution against ordering any conifers...they sent me a few dead ones....clearly dead from the time they were packaged. To put into perspective, I've spent a lot of money from Raintree and have never had a tree die from them...

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

I have never ordered from Burnt Ridge so I do not comment on its product and services. But I ordered some fruit trees from OneGreen World in the past years. I have never had any problems with their products. The trees were shippped according to local plant season, and grew normal, never need to contact its customer services. OneGreen World has good selections. it is less expensive to get all the trees from one place ( save some shipping cost ).

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

I have never ordered from Burnt Ridge so I do not comment on its product and services. But I ordered some fruit trees from OneGreen World in the past years. I have never had any problems with their products. The trees were shippped according to local plant season, and grew normal, never need to contact its customer services. OneGreen World has good selections. it is less expensive to get all the trees from one place ( save some shipping cost ).

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

point taken olympia!

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

LOL

• maryhawkins99
    11 years ago

I've had 2 dead trees from BR. OGW has always been perfect. fwiw

• northwoodswis4
    11 years ago

I have only ordered from OGW once, but I was very impressed with the size, quality, and ironclad way the plants were packed. I generally order from nurseries catering more to northern growers, so that is why I have only ordered from them the one time, but I would not hesitate to order from them again if I saw something I really wanted. Northwoodswis

• milehighgirl
    11 years ago

I've had three perfect orders from OGW. Apples, plums, cherries, blueberries, kiwis, magnolia vine, pawpaws, shipova, medlar, horseradish, gooseberry, peach, and rose.

I've not ordered from Burnt Ridge.

• fabaceae_native
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just checked out the Raintree website. Still not the variety of OGW, but they're much better about telling the size of the plants they ship than both OGW and BR.

Some of Raintree's pawpaws are in gallon pots instead of the 4x9 pots that OGW and BR have, for the same price as OGW. Folks seem to really like Raintree as well...

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

melikeeatplants, you may have not experienced multi posting, you are lucky. But there are a lot of people out there aren't as lucky as you are, So don't be such a xxxxx.

It is not what I or someone who want to multi post. it is simply that this website does not work the way it is supposed to . I have hard time to load each page, I have hard time to review my posting, and I have hard time to post... I can't do search... The page just goes blank when the buttom is clicked. Certainly, this website is not developed like most other commercial web pages. I don't have problem with other websites. The multi posting is getting worst... I was reading somebody else's multi posting and was wondering how that was done in Spring this year, now I can't be sure everytime I post something, it will be just one post or multipost. To me, the multi posting just started this summer, few months ago.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

melikeeatplants, you may have not experienced multi posting, you are lucky. But there are a lot of people out there aren't as lucky as you are, So don't be such a xxxxx.

It is not what I or someone who want to multi post. it is simply that this website does not work the way it is supposed to . I have hard time to load each page, I have hard time to review my posting, and I have hard time to post... I can't do search... The page just goes blank when the buttom is clicked. Certainly, this website is not developed like most other commercial web pages. I don't have problem with other websites. The multi posting is getting worst... I was reading somebody else's multi posting and was wondering how that was done in Spring this year, now I can't be sure everytime I post something, it will be just one post or multipost. To me, the multi posting just started this summer, few months ago.

• milehighgirl
    11 years ago

olympia_gardener,

I didn't get the feeling that was melikeeatplants was being offensive. I thought it was more of a little joke. One thing about posting here is that it can never be altered after it's posted, and I think we all wish we had that option. (and a spell-check would be nice too).

• glib
    11 years ago

We got it this time too, Olympia.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Milehighgirl, it is frustating... "One thing about posting here is that it can never be altered after it's posted"... I never did.

• milehighgirl
    11 years ago

olympia_gardener,

I understand, it's happened to me many times. What I wish is that we could go back and delete the multiple posts that make us look like nincompoops, because we are obviously NOT.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

I enjoy your posts though olympia gardener. Thanks,Brady

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

Yes milehigh it was a lighthearted joke. It seemed obvious to me (and I would assume everyone else) that she didn't intentionally post the same thing 4 times in a row.

Yes I do find it ironic that her reply to me double posted, calling me an "xxxxx" twice!

Apologies for the misunderstanding.....

• fabaceae_native
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rats, I was hoping that all those new replies would tell of some experience with Raintree! But I'm glad you got the responses to the multiple posting sorted out :)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Actually,I've been to both Raintree and Burnt Ridge where I picked up a few things and was sent some plants from Burnt Ridge.No problems,everything is growing.Raintree is out in the boonies.They told me I could say that. Brady

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

Fab,

Google "the scoop burnt ridge" and "the scoop raintree" to see lots of reviews about them both.

FWIW, Rolling River and Trees of Antiquity are highly rated and have some interesting choices as well.

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

I've been to both Raintree and OGW, and Raintree is further out in the boondocks than is OGW. The Raintree trip is a more scenic drive. OGW is more pastoral.

From each place I have purchased great plants, and duds, and mislabled plants.

• fabaceae_native
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for reminding me about Rolling River in particular, it has some interesting stuff and the best ratings of any nursery. Trees of Antiquity is not quite in the same category as these others, selling more standard types of fruits (persimmon, pomegranate, and jujube seem to be the furthest they go into the "unusual").

I've looked at the Garden Watchdog before, but I've never done a larger comparison...

Here it is (in order of best reviews):
    -- Rolling River, 24 positives, 0 negatives, 100% satisfaction
    -- Trees of Antiquity, 48 positives, 1 negative, 98%
    -- Burnt Ridge, 90 positives, 15 negatives, 83%
    -- Raintree, 168 positives, 33 negatives, 81%
    -- One Green World, 64 positives, 19 negatives, 70%

I will definitely try Rolling River, and Raintree as well for the broader range of items.

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

Trees of Antiquity doesn't carry exotics but they have many heirloom varieties of the more typical fruits.

The best reviewed company on the Watchdog -

--Nourse Farms, 123 positives, 0 negatives, 100% satisfaction

They sell mostly berries but thought I would add them in case others came across this thread who might be interested.