Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsg47

Kiwi Gold Raspberries

mrsg47
10 years ago

Here is an update on this yellow raspberry. Not only is it incredibly invasive, mine is an ant magnet. The ants bore holes into each raspberry making them almost impossible to eat. You can pick one berry and have fifteen ants in your hand. Not only that, this year they are incredibly sour with no distinctive taste that they had when they were first growing, four years ago. When I first grew them, they didn't really taste like what we would call 'raspberry' in flavor. They had a honey taste, a bit like 'Fall Gold'. This year for some reason they are all sour regardless of their shade of light yellow to almost 'salmon' in color. Sour is just sour; riddled with holes and ants, Not a good combo. I will replace them with 'Newberry'.

Comments (5)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Mine are just planted this year, and wonderful. Big berries, excellent taste, firm unlike most yellows. I'm impressed. I have only found ants on blackberries. But it's that time of year they go kinda crazy.

I still have two yellow cultivars to test, Honey Queen and Cascade Gold. Cascade is unusual in that it is a June bearing cultivar. Super hardy 7 foot canes.
    Fall Gold seems steady. Often described as sweet, but mine are quite tart, and I love them! Maybe Kiwi Gold does have problems as it seemed to have been dropped from most nurseries. But that doesn't mean anything. Many of the best peaches from Scott's evaluation are not available either. Kiwi Gold is a sport of Heritage. It could be called Heritage Gold. So i suspect it behaves much like Heritage, afterall that was it is. Anne seems to be the leader, but many commercial producers are dropping it due to it's lack luster performance, and sun burn problems. The berry itself is excellent. So far though my fav is still Fall Gold for it's full flavor. I need a lot more time though to see how these plants perform long term. So far all are decent IMHO.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 17:11

• shane11
    10 years ago

Kiwigold is no longer available from any US source I am aware of. I had it growing at one time and will say it was one of the prettiest colored raspberries around though they were a little on the tart side compared to fallgold or anne. I still enjoyed them and they were very good processed. Kiwigold was more orange in color compared to the other "yellow" varieties and was quite showy. A good seller at market.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Kiwi gold are more orange than yellow or golden in color. They turn a light to medium 'melon' color. They are not bright orange as they have the regular 'frosted' matte look as most raspberries do. Mrs. G

• ljkewlj
    10 years ago

The only place I have been able to find them mail order is at American Meadows. I ordered two for 2013 spring shipment and only one of the two came out of dormancy. Anyone know how their replacement policy is?

Here is a link that might be useful: American Meadows

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Yes they do look orange when compared to Anne or Fall Gold. Currently I'm harvesting all three. Honey Queen is even more orange when ripe. Konrad posted a photo of them in another thread.
    Even if not perfect some good features, like they are very upright, Anne and Fall Gold are not. They seem more vigorous too. May make a good parent for a cross.
    update:
    I pick my berries every morning, I tend not to let berries ever become over ripe. Except many on the weekends when I leave for a couple days. Anyway when looking at Anne, Fall Gold and Kiwi Gold in my picking container, Kiwi is a deeper yellow, not orange. I have only picked about 10 berries from Kiwi, so many another day on the cane they would change to a deeper color. But they are ripe and not orange.
    It may be the line these came from? The plant is distinct looking with darker, more rounded leaves, and an upright stature. Very unlike the other yellows. I'm very pleased with it. I want to make some of my own crosses, and this looks like a good parent to use.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 11:52