Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering apples and cherries in the upper midest

Posted by oldryder (4), MN (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 10:33

Saw the other thread about dry farming and thought I'd share what I think I learned and maybe get some useful comments and advice.

I planted 55 apple trees in 2009 (bare root, heavily mulched) in relatively sandy slightly sloped soil.

also planted about 50 additional trees each of the succeeding years.

in each case the trees were watered weekly in their 1st year and periodically in the 2nd year if it was dry. most were on semi-d stock. If my lawn was dry I gave the trees additional water.

growth was disappointing the 1st 2 years. I started adding nitrogen in 2011.

last year (2011) was the wettest in many years. The trees planted in spring of 2011 did very significantly better their 1st 2 years than trees planted in previous years. (those trees did have additional benefit of add'l nitrogen)

what I think I've learned is that at least with my soil and sloping fields a lot more watering is needed for optimum growth. I am considering irrigating for the 1st few years even though it's not the norm for my area.

comments and suggestions are welcome.

Next year will be year 5 for my 1st planting (McIntosh, SnowSweet, Paul Red, Honeycrisp, & Zestar on semi-d) so I'm hopeful that even with the slow start I'll get a lot of apples next year. (So far none of the trees have yielded any fruit although this year was marred by a late frost.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering apples and cherries in the upper midest

oldryder:

Irrigation will certainly boost growth the first few years. So that's probably a plus unless you end up pruning much of that off. You'll need to experiment some on how much water is needed after fruiting begins. Irrigation will likely increase yield and maybe even fruit eating quality. A lot depends on your soil and weather. Around here with our heat and normal droughts I need to water apples and pears quit a lot outdoors to maximize fruit quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here