Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black spots and flies on key lime leaves

Posted by Danny_1975 Southeast (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 10:36

Hello,
This is my first post on here. Hope I'm not asking a dumb question. I live in the southeast where we have lots of rain and humidity.

I have an almost 1 year old key lime tree. I Just noticed it has lots of black spots on the leaves along with black flies with red heads on some.

Not sure what those exactly are, any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black spots and flies on key lime leaves

Danny,

Did you just recently move to the south? The bugs are harmless and known as "love bugs" They show up twice a year sometimes in HUGE numbers. once in the spring and once toward fall. They don't bite, don't even feed as adults (far as I know) but do land on people and make a mess on the front of cars.

Your leaves have sooty mold. As a rule it grows on the leaves because of the secretions left or dropped by aphids. Does the new growth have aphids? Get rid of them and wipe the leaves off. The sooty mold does not hurt the citrus leaves but does block them from getting energy from the sun.

This post was edited by bamboo_rabbit on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 10:56

o

Thanks Bamboo-Rabitt

I moved here 2 years ago, and into this house one year ago. I did see a couple of aphids on it. What is the best way to get rid of them? I'd rather not use pesticides if I can get away with that.

Thanks again

o

Danny,

You can just blast the aphids off with water from the hose or water in a spray bottle with a few drops of dish detergent (anything but Dawn). They are easy to kill.

The love bugs have just appeared here in central Florida in the past few days.

o

Im in northwestern FL. Thanks for the advice, i'll do that.

o

Glad to help. You must be in a warm spot...I can't grow key limes here or any lime for that matter except limequats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here