Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insect and fungus report 2012

Posted by MrsG47 6-7 RI (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 10:40

Needless to say it was a very odd weather year. The fall is behaving like it should. Getting cooler each evening. I can now safely say, due do the suggested spray schedule and combination of sprays provided by H-man, Glenn and Olpea, I did not see one OFM, or PC. No borers either. I had a few ants and dispatched them quickly. Had a little bacterial spot on my apricot which is now gone. No canker, no scale. Good looking un-blemished fruit, with fabulous taste. My later apples are just beginning to ripen and due to putting them in baggies, I escaped insect damage, sooty blotch and flyspeck. Watching the timing for spraying and being consistant in your labor really pays off. My first great fruit year, thanks to all of you; (that goes for Frank, Bamboo, Scott, Patty, Flora, Milehigh, Itilton,Johnmeer, and Fruitnut too!) If I left anyone out I mean you too!

63 Yellow Pristine apple
22 Italian Prune Plums
32 Elberta Peaches
9 Jonagold apples
1 Enterprise apple
4 Harglow Apricots
1 Quart Montmorency sour cherry
Lots of Raspberries

Mrs. G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insect and fungus report 2012

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 13:37

Our raspberries are continuing to produce fruit, and the blueberry crop was good: 3 1/2 gallons, with an estimated 1 quart lost to the local birds. I have been fighting japanese beetles with the cup of soapy water. Most of our blueberry shrubs show some damage from these insects, but only 5% of the leaves are affected. We lost a few raspberry canes to insect borers, but these were pruned off right away and went on the compost pile.

o

Gosh, how can I forget my Northern Swiss pal Konrad. Thanks!

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 21:16

Congratulations Mrs. G! It's always special to get that first fruit from a tree.

o

Thanks Olpea. I forget about all of the work and I say to myself, this is magic. The trees are beautiful and with 'real' sized fruit on them is amazing. Put up 13 small jars of peach jam. Oh yum all winter long! Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here