Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viability of apple seeds

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 10:42

This question came up elsewhere. Could seeds from apples kept in a cool, dry cellar for about 3 years still be viable?

I say not, that rot or mold would have done for them. Anyone think otherwise?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viability of apple seeds

My own view would be the opposite and they would dry out, but i guess it depends on how moist this cellar (if too moist, probably rot or sprout if it gets cool enough in the winter.

I'm not sure... I bet you could freeze them and keep them viable for a long time. I know they are very quick to sprout if you keep them cool/moist in the refrigerator.

o
RE: Viability of apple seeds

You think the seeds still inside the fruit would be dry enough to resist mold?

I'm thinking that they might sprout the first season, but down in the cellar with no light, the sprouts would die.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here