Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonytranomaha

Has anyone has a T-Bud leafed out this late in the season?

Tony
10 years ago

3 weeks ago, one my Rossyanka hybrid persimmon graft broke clean from the graft union by strong wind. I then used the green buds from the broken graft and T-budded to the trunk of the large rootstock in three different locations. I went out yesterday to check on them and all of the buds swelled and about to leaf out. Has anyone encounter this issue? I wanted the buds to stay dormant for next spring.

Tony

Comments (7)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

When a tree is traumatized like that, it will try to push whatever growth it can. I cut back one of my plum stems and budded it with apricots last month. Now I'm seeing plum flowers on it. The tree is pushing the plum buds that would have remained dormant for next spring.

• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just hope the new branches have enough time to harden up for winter. I may have to dig it up and over winter it in the tornado shelter.

Tony

• franktank232
    10 years ago

Never had that happen... i place about 20 chip buds and all look to be dormant.

• olpea
    10 years ago

Tony,

This is the first year this has happened to me. One of my Winblo grafts (budded about 3-4 weeks ago) started growing. I think there is a little chance something that sprouts will survive cold freezing weather. In 2007, a late freeze killed stuff which had just sprouted.

Because of that, I took a different approach. Instead of leaving the little growth alone to harden off, I immediately fertilized the little tree and cut the tree back to try to force some growth in the graft before winter. At this point the bud has only grown a couple inches which is probably not enough to save it. Probably a long shot, but If it grows more before freezing weather I plan to put a bucket over it (with a rock on top) once it goes dormant, to try to moderate the freezing weather this winter, since it won't have any time to harden off.

• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Olpea,

The bucket was a good idea. My D. Virginiana rootstock was a little larger and four feet tall. I may have to dig it up and place it in the pot for over winter in the shelter. I will keep the bucket idea in mind for future use. Thx.

Tony

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

olpea,

I'm thinking that the bucket alone would allow too much temperature difference since it's not insulated enough. I had good luck with putting a cage around the tree (after protecting it from vermin with hardware cloth) then filling it with leaves. I went another step and wrapped the cage with metallic bubble wrap insulation. I only did this to two baby peaches, O'Henry and Silver Logan, but it got them through a tough winter just fine.

Maybe putting reflective bubble wrap around the bucket would do the trick, but alone my feeling is it would allow too much heating and cooling.

Tony,

You are the king of winter protection, whatever you do to your kaki's should be fine for a t-bud:)

I just budded a few peaches as well so now I know to check to make sure they aren't swelling. Funny, but my first attempts to bud were more successful than I thought, but I thought they were goners because they didn't swell in the fall. I ordered replacement trees instead. When they arrived I dug out the budded rootstocks and they were swelling. Live and learn, and thank God for all those here on GW who share!!!!!

• olpea
    10 years ago

"I'm thinking that the bucket alone would allow too much temperature difference since it's not insulated enough."

Milehigh,

I considered the same thing. I didn't write it because it sounded too complicated to write about for a small detail, but I'm actually planning to use two buckets. A smaller one (about a gallon size) then a larger one over that. My theory is that it will operate like double pane windows by having a dead air space in between the buckets. This tree is small enough a gallon bucket will fit over it no problem.

The insulation/bubble wrap and leaves sound like a good idea. I may take some leaves and use them for insulation between the two buckets.

Thanks