Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
September Wonder Apple?

Posted by spartan-apple SE WI (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 10:44

Anyone in the upper mid-west growing September Wonder apple?
I am just curious how far North it will grow and ripen ok.

A friend just returned from a visit to Georgia and brought some back from an orchard there. I had never heard of them before but got to sample. The flavor was fantastic! Sweet,
juicy and somewhat reminiscent of Honeycrisp in flavor and
texture. Perhaps I sampled an exceptional one but the flavor just blew me away.

I would like to find out if they would do well in southern
WI. Since supposedly an early ripening Fuji type, I am
hesitant to plant out and learn the hard way. Regular Fuji
would ripen way too late here, but I read it ripens much earlier that regular Fuji?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: September Wonder Apple?

SA

My Red Fuji and Wonder fuji did just fine even when the temperature dip down to -26F in 2007. They are very sweet and juicy. My kids love them.

Tony

o

We have gone to dwarfs now ... lack of space & difficult to take care of. My favorite dwarf now is our newest: Dwarf Cameo. Tasted some a few years back from the grocery (they don't seem to have them any more for some reason)& really liked them so we ordered a dwarf Cameo & it has had a good crop after only the 3rd year; got it from VanWell Nursery in Washington State & arrived in fantastic shape with huge root ball!

A while back, a poster: 'Jellyman' was the source of such great fruit tree information... I haven't seen his posting recently, has anyone?

o

Just got back from Mercier Orchards in Blue Ridge , GA with a peck of September Wonders... absolutely delicious! This website (anyone who like apples needs to check it out) shows an orchard "near" you in Indiana growing that apple. BTW, You can get Mercier Orchards to ship the apples or any product they make to you!
http://www.orangepippin.com/orchards/united-states/indiana/wea-creek-orchard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here