Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaloisi

advice regarding tools for peeling apples, etc.

jaloisi
9 years ago

Comments (9)

• nyRockFarmer
    9 years ago

I've got one and I like it, but there are issues.

1) The fruit cannot be soft, as is the case when overripe. The fruit will not stay on the prongs.

2) It helps to have an ideal spherical shape, or you end up peeling most of it by hand. Even in the ideal case, you have to hand peel a little of the ends or just cut it off and waste some.

3) The coring/slicing feature usually doesn't get all of the core, so it needs to be trimmed a little.

4) The optional coring/slicing feature makes slices a little to thin for baking. It is, however, perfect when cooking the apple down completely for sauce or apple butter. For baking I use the peeler without the slicer and then slice with a hand slicer... or peeler and hand corer for dumplings.

It does require developing your own technique in both setup and operation. For example, I stick it on the edge of the table at angle so to peel goes into a lower bin on stool next to the table. Finding a method is worth it because it can save a lot of time when processing many bushels of apples. I can't really say how long takes to wear out the bushings, but it still worth the price in my opinion. That is, until some creates a better option for home use.

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

I use these two hand tools one is a rada and the corer is an oxo. I tried to use a similar cutter/peeler/corer to the one pictured on amazon but it was slow and did work well with misshaped and small apples.

This post was edited by ClarkinKS on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 14:23

• marknmt
    9 years ago

I have and occasionally use an Applemaster, but I don't like not using peels and prefer to leave them on, plus, as noted above, it gets the slices a little on the thin side. So I generally just core them with a corer like the Oxo above. Slice or wedge with a knife to your liking.

Seems like the Apple master makes something of a mess, too, compared to the corer-and-knife approach.

• glib
    9 years ago

I have some knives with somewhat flexible blades, origin unknown but probably bought when we lived in Europe. I use them mostly to cut apples (or pears). As I cut apples for the whole family at the end of dinner, I always get one of these (4 are left), in winter (if we have, say, steak, I get a different knife for that). Stiff blade knives do not work very well, serrated edges do not work either, and peelers do not help with the task of quartering and coring. I can do an apple in less than a minute with these, but not with any other knife.

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

I have an apple corer, peeler just like the one you are thinking of buying. Don't do it! I could never get it to core the apple or peel it properly. Ten years later its still in the box! Mrs. G

• ltilton
    9 years ago

I find that it works pretty well for doing large quantities of applesauce, forex. But what I really want is a tool that will work on pears!

• home_grower
    9 years ago

This guy peels apples like a boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbzw6y0pF3U

Here is a link that might be useful: Fast Apple Peeler

• curtis
    9 years ago

the drill method makes the most sense. You probably have a drill and a potato peeler. The bit looks like a paddle bit, you can buy those as singles at most hardware stores for under $5. Probably 1/2". It would take some practice to poke the bit down the center as consistently as he does. Good method if you need to peel a lot of apples.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

I was wondering what bit he was using.

Have to say, though, the hand-cranked ones do almost as fast, and you get the apple cored in the same process, which the guy with the drill has yet to do.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County