Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

My first fruit tree crops ever....

canadianplant
10 years ago

Only having fruit trees for 4 years, I have not been able to get any crops in previous years. Not to mention Ive added a tree or 2 each year over those 4 years each tree is in various stages of maturity.

I dont know how to post multiple images on here yet so ill have to post each pic in itself....

This is the John pear. This is its second year and I would assume that would make it 3 or 4 years old. It flowered like mad in the spring, and set a good 20 fruits. After thinning and what not I ended up with 6 decent sized pears. Im not quite sure when the best time to pick them is so I started today, and will pick one ever week until they are gone. The skin just recently went from waxy to a softer leathery appearance.

Comments (11)

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another on the tree with the orange blush

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Congratulations.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the fist crop of Honeygold apples. Last year I had more but they all dropped prematurely. I can only assume the tree was too young. This is its 3rd or 4rth year, and I am hoping for a better crop next year. The colour is amazing though. 3 - 4 weeks to go before I can pick them:

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And lastly my new Golden spice pear. No fruit but... nice little tree:

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Congrats...nice clean fruits!
    That John you might want to graft something else one since it's a horrible sour or non eating out of hand pear, you can can them with lots of sugar.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Very cool! Looking good! I only have 1st year trees here, but have been harvesting cherries from my trees at my cottage for a bit now. The trees here look great and may have some fruit next year. I'll probably remove it all though.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Konrad.

Now that I have the Golden spice I have a bit more to work with. The John will most likely be a pollinator for the Golden spice. I will see how the John taste when theyre ripe. MY boss says theyre ok. Maybe they need a slightly warmer climate to sweeten up then where you are?

Either way, I plan to graft Flemish Beauty to the John, as well as my bosc seedling. Im just not sure if I am going to graft a few branches on the john, or replace the leader at the top.

Drew - Thanks! I thought about removing all the fruit, but decided to leave one or two. THe john set so much fruit I decided it was ready to produce, so I left a small crop of 6. The apple only set 6 fruit and ended up with 2, so I let it do its thing.

Seeing as I have the golden spice, and its been described as "precocious" then I should get good pollination from the John and vice versa, which should mean better fruit set. That is, if the flower at the same time here....

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Good Going! The fruit is exceptionally blemish free! Thanks for the pics. I always love seeing what others have grown! Mrs. G

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks MrsG

We had an exceptional season for predators in my yard. I also think given the climate most diseases shouldnt be too much of a worry.

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Let us know how it taste for you, ..as you might find, this pear is vigorous and very good to graft onto, [golden spice less vigorous]

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will say John is quite vigorous. IT put on around 2 feet of growth this season and still managed to set a crop. It is definitely vigorous and precocious!

IF they are so easy to graft on to and are hardy I wonder how well john would be for rootstock...

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource