Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

Asian pear harvest

Good fruit this year. This is one of six trays. I get fruit every other year due to often late spring frost. I could only fit one tray in the basement fridge veg drawer to chill a couple weeks. Other trays in the garage that is now getting some chill with the weather finally cooling off.
Any other hints? I will try dehydrating. Freezing in the past did not do so well....turned a bit grainy.
I usually end up giving so much away. I do not care much for sugary preserves or saucing like apple sauce.
I do like crispy chips so someone suggested dehydrating, then finishing in a warm oven?

Comments (10)

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

What fabulous looking fruit!!! No suggestions for recipes as my pals love jam. Dehydrating would be my first choice. They look delish! Mrs. G

• eboone_gw
    10 years ago

You could try canning them-bet they would be great!
    What variety of Asian pears are they?

• Noogy
    10 years ago

Hmm.On dwarf,my shinseikis are very spongy and haven't done that well probably due to underthinning and prolly not enough water the last month. But chojuro 6' away is the real champ with a couple dozen small/med sized fruit. Nice. As were my Hosui's. They were outstanding with a syrup quality on some small callery I left to fruit. I've also harvested 3 yoinashi on BET and have left one on the tree cause it didn't come off easily. Wow, very good.

• Noogy
    10 years ago

Hmm.On dwarf,my shinseikis are very spongy and haven't done that well probably due to underthinning and prolly not enough water the last month. But chojuro 6' away is the real champ with a couple dozen small/med sized fruit. Nice. As were my Hosui's. They were outstanding with a syrup quality on some small callery I left to fruit. I've also harvested 3 yoinashi on BET and have left one on the tree cause it didn't come off easily. Wow, very good.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is Hosui. When i do get a fruit year this always does well without much effort...except for culling. It is about 12yrs old now. Other varieties always struggle with this and that as i grow organically. I've added a few more trees the past few years and have lost a couple but the 2nd Hosui is doing well. It is a great fruiting tree for NY Catskills/Hudson Valley.

• skyjs
    10 years ago

I can't believe that more people dont' grow Asian pears. They are amazingly productive! I do have to bag mine due to coddling moth, but otherwise, this tree is a champ! I realized last year that it was better to harvest all of them rather than wait until they fall and all get too mealy.
    John S
    PDX OR

• Noogy
    10 years ago

The coddling moths like chojuro exclusively from what I can tell. I got 5/22 pears that were affected and that was about it.

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

Sleevendog,

Where are you located? This is the first year my Hosui has fruited. I don't know when the ripening time should be. Since they are only 3 pears on the tree. I don't want to pick them too early but again, I don't want to wait until squirrels take them, either. In my yard, Hosui is the most difficult one. More fire blight and slow growth.Hopefully, it'll give me more than 3 pears next year!!!

I have picked Shinko (bland as usual) and 20th century (small and not enough flavor, need to thin more next year).

I've noticed that this year, there were more coddling moth damages than previous years. Can't bag them. Too many to bag.

I still have good-sized Korean Giant still hanging (my saving grace). They don't ripe until early - mid Oct.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll go back and try to fix my zone list. I thought i did that.
    This tree is in the Catskills. The Jewett valley, that is about 1900 altitude but a valley between two mountain ranges. It is an old farm cleared, gets lots of wind, (love the no bite bugs with so much wind).
    I sited my garden in a low-lying protected field with good drainage at the base of a cliff.
    Drip irrigated from a natural spring when needed.
    My gardening education was youthful 15 yrs ago trying everything. Without internet it was OrganicGardening, the two bible books and the magazine subscription.
    I've become pretty laid back over the years and i believe that contributes to successes. Allowing nature and weather to be as it will be and enjoy the harvest each year with the good and the bad....and i prune heavily despite mind spinning advice.
    My main home north of NYC, 20 miles, has five new fruit trees, two yrs old now. The Asians are healthy. The others, (i would need to look in my book), are struggling. Possibly dead but i tend them and hope for life next spring.
    We all have our challenges and often the best advice is your local extension...i had a lovely fellow come to my land when first bought, Cornell Cooperative Extension. Greene CountyâÂÂs office. Bob Beyfuss. A passion i've not seen since. He spent a few hours walking our land and that alone gave use so much information about our specific location.

Here is a link that might be useful: Catskill Mnt Foundation

• Charlie
    10 years ago

I planted two asian pear trees last year (Hosui and Shinko) and each made 6 fruit. They are small since the trees are so young, but very sweet and juicy. I had no blight damage on one tree and very minor damage on the other.