Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

New apples books

Scott F Smith
10 years ago

Tom Burfords new apple book is out:

Apples of North America: Exceptional Varieties for Gardeners, Growers, and Cooks

I ordered a copy from Amazon, it looks good from the previews. 192 varieties with focus on American varieties.

Also if you are into hard cider Claude Jolicoeur's new book is out as well:

The New Cider Maker's Handbook

It looks to be the standard reference for serious craft cider makers.

Scott

Comments (10)

• Tony
    10 years ago

Scott,

Plz let Us know some top varieties after you are done reviewing it.

Tony

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Scott the American Apple book sounds great. Is there a book you can recommend on European Heirloom apples? Thanks Mrs. G

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sure, for English get The Book of Apples by Morgan. There are many historical books as well such as Bunyard.

There are also good French and German sources, for example go to amazon.de and search the bücher for obstsorten. The usefulness will depend on what languages you know. Leroy is the classic French historical source, his huge 6-volume set is definitive. I have an online copy I got from archiv.org I believe.

Scott

• megamav
    10 years ago

For mostly mainstream European apples, check out The Apple Book by Rosie Sanders. I got a 2nd copy on amazon for about $15.75. Great book, a work of art and a good reference. The New Book of Apples is a pretty comprehensive dictionary of over 2000 varieties. Pictures are limited.

There is also the Encycopedia of Apples on Amazon, pretty good, pictures and short descriptions.

If I had to pick one, it would be tough, but I'd pick The New Book of Apples.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Thanks guys, Scott and Mega. I'll be in Paris for about 3 weeks and will also browse the old stalls for antiquarian books on fruit growing. They are usually beautiful books with tons of information (antiquated for not). Went to Amazon.com to look up the first apple book. It is ordered and excellent. Thanks again, Mrs. G

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Scott,

The only book I have been able to find by George Bunyard is 'Fruit Growing for Profit'. Is that the book you are referring to? Thanks Mrs. G

• franktank232
    10 years ago

I'll probably order the Burford book. I still prefer reading books/magazines then reading long periods of time on the laptop.

You're going to Paris? No fair! Some day i'll get to Europe... My 3 little boat anchors (kids) are putting a crimp on any traveling the past few years.

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Bunyard book is "The Anatomy of Dessert", it covers many fruits. The great thing about it is the writing, its not the usual dry description stuff. It looks like it was reprinted a few years ago so its back in print.

Here is a random quote, its whats in front of me in the Google preview of it right now:

Of Gravenstein it is hard to speak in mere prose, so distinct in flavour is it, Cox itself not standing more solitary, so full of juice and scented with the very attar of apple. This aroma comes out on the skin, ... bringing to mind the autumnal orchard in mellow sunlight.

You get the idea, a cross of apple descriptions and poetry. Great to read as a period piece.

Speaking of dry books, the Burford book is pretty dry. The taste descriptions say very little. Still the book has an interesting collection of unusual American varieties and lots of good historical background that Burford knows better than anyone alive. So, I'm still glad I bought it. Manharts Apples for the 21st Century is my favorite US book of apple descriptions, he goes on for pages about the varieties he likes in great detail. It has many fewer varieties in it however.

Scott

This post was edited by scottfsmith on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 21:33

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Couldn't resist the anatomy of dessert, ordered that one too! Thanks Scott. That is my kind of book! Mrs. G

• franktank232
    10 years ago

Checked the local library...came home with "The New Book of Apples" by Joan Morgan/Alison Richards. Has a ton of info...still working my way through it.