Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vole Control Advice Needed

Posted by oldryder (4), MN (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 11:00

I have almost 200 fruit trees from 1-4 years old. I mulch them with wood chips and most have approx. 2-1/2" diameter white plastic corrugated tubing that goes from the soil to 18 - 24" above ground. I also push the mulch back a couple inches from the trunk of the tree.

I'm finally getting to the point where I should get some fruit and the last thing I want is lose a bunch of trees to some stinking mice!

I haven't had vole problems so far but I certainly have them on my land as I see them regularly in a cats mouth and running for their lives when I mow a high area.

Is the plastic an adequate barrier or have I just been lucky?

If additional protection is advisable what are recommended approaches?

as always thx for help. Mark in MN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vole Control Advice Needed

Cats are the best control. Yours seem to be on the job.

o

Second ltilton re. cat.

My friend's orchard was so badly damaged by voles. She tried many things but they did not work. She finally got a feral cat from a shelter. No more voles.

I have 3 cats from the neighborhood roaming my yard. No voles, either. Unfortunately, they don't discouraged squirrels!!.

o

If you have pine voles in your area the plastic does not deter them. I trap out my land first with mechanical traps placed under trays (about a dozen trays and 50 traps moved gradually over my 3 acres starting in Oct. until first snow). I finish with poison bait.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here