Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
arkansas black spur type tree

Posted by grape-2006 6a (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 11:04

Are the arkansas black spur apple trees coompact? Are these easy to deal with?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: arkansas black spur type tree

Dunno. I've seen, in the past, experienced orchardists comment on the 'Colonial J-Spur' strain of ArkBlack as producing 'beautiful, cardboard-flavored apples.
Suggests to me that perhaps the original non-spur selection is superior with regard to fruit quality/flavor.
I have no personal experience with it, as its so late that the big European hornets always completely devoured them all long before they had any chance to ripen here.

o

I think you are better off controlling vigor with rootstock. Excessive spurring creates problems that require more management because you need a good ratio of leaf to fruit to get good size and quality. You generally end up having to cut back spurs to maintain adequate vigor for this.

The original Ark Black is not very vigorous and is spurry to begin with- my trees on 111 tend to set some fruit on the second year.

o

Good info, hman.
Was visiting, one fall, with a guy who runs a small local commercial orchard a number of years ago. He said he had ArkBlack apples in the cooler from the previous year that were still good - perhaps better than they ever had been - but that he couldn't sell 'em, cause they were kind of shriveled - his wife had gotten tired of keeping wet towels in the cooler to keep the humidity levels up, and they'd gotten a bit wrinkly - but still tasty.

o

Yes, they are certainly rocks off the tree but I do like them out of storage. I suspect they are a variety that is not very appealing to insects and is noted for being highly disease resistant as well. Burford rates it as resistant to scab, CAR and fireblight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here