Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberry companion plant questions

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 11:20

I have a few questions about companion planting with raspberries.

First, I have some Purple Royalty raspberries and just recently, the baby deer have been eating the leaves off the stems. I'd like to plant bee balm between the plants, which seems to keep the deer away. Would this change the flavor of the raspberries?

Second, I would like to plant some red raspberries, but I have concerns about them spreading into other areas of the garden. There's a very old lilac hedge (about 60 years old) on one edge of the yard. If I plant the raspberries against the hedge, will they hurt the lilacs if they spread into that area? To keep the deer away, would it hurt to plant spearmint in front of or around the raspberries?

Thank you for any help or suggestions :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberry companion plant questions

Planting any plant among the raspberries will not change the flavor of the future berries.

Raspberry plants will not affect an established lilac hedge.

Spearmint is aggressive and spreading, but should not hamper established raspberries. It could hinder pruning out old canes and telling them apart from new canes if the mint becomes a tangle around the canes.

I assume you don't mind tending or harvesting your berries surrounded by bees!

o
RE: Raspberry companion plant questions

Actually, the bees aren't that happy with the spearmint and bee balm. They like it, but they're more excited by the lavender and catmint :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here