Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powdery Mildew on Cherry

Posted by Garret_87 Zone 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 11:21

I got a Dwarf North Star Cherry in the spring and planted it up in a huge container. It has been growing nicely all year and even gave me two cherries, but in the last month the tree has been attacked by powdery mildew. Along with the mildew many if the leaves are now speckled with white/yellow dots.
I tried to remedy the situation myself. Three weeks ago I bought Safer Brand Garden Fungicide, but after applying once a week and subsequently finishing the bottle there has been no improvement. Some leaves now are browning on the edges and curling downward.

Any identification and advice will be greatly appreciated. Pics are attached.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powdery Mildew on Cherry

Another shot of the leaves

o

A few leaves have brown spots

o

These are leaves on new growth on the top of the tree. Browning on the edges.

o

Final pic. Full shot of the tree. It's small but I will do anything to keep this tree happy and healthy. Any advice to help this Cherry will be much appreciated.

o

Some of the brown is due to running short of water some time ago. (Why is it in a pot?)

Powdery mildew is treated at the very first evidence seen. But at this time of year, the cheery will soon lose its leaves. So no Rx needed now.

o

I live on the second floor and only have a sunny balcony to grow on. All my fruits and vegetables need to be in a container. It's been quite a fun and rewarding hobby.

When should I start treatments for the powdery mildew? Is there anything I should spray on it before winter?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here