Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

Just released my first graft

canadianplant
9 years ago

I posted my first ever graft a few months ago: Flemish beauty pear on a bosc seedling rootstock. I used the cleft, which may not have been the best thing to do on an inch thick rootstock, but it has now gotten about 4-5 feet of growth. I noticed the electrical tape I used was stretching very bad but it just fell off when I gave it a bit of a tug. Looks like ill have to use some wax or tree seal for the winter on the crack just to make sure. What you think?

Sorry I dont know how to post multiple pics....

Comments (11)

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

last

• marknmt
    9 years ago

I suspect that graft will be just fine no matter what you do. It might be nice to cover up the un-healed portion when they look like that, but I never do and they seem to callous OK, especially on pear.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some trees are starting to go dormant up here, so if anything I am worried that it may not heal enough for the winter. There is still a crack on the opposite side of the cut, without a scion and i dont want water or bugs getting in there. Once it gets past spring I wont worry as much.

Im not experienced in grafting but it seems to be healing well

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

Your graft looks it will do very well. It appears the rootstock was slightly larger so a cleft graft was a great choice. For similar sized grafts I like a saddle graft like the one I did in this picture. It would not hurt to push some wax in the crack of your graft to keep water etc out until it heals over.

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

At the end of growing in this zone it has of no advantage, sometimes a disadvantage. You have a little more protection from now until spring if you let them on.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I may try grafting on a grape vine. I have a grape vine that is 2 years old and it has barely grown. It still in 2 years has not reached the top of the trellis. An Einset grape vine. My dad grew a seeded tough skin type for 30 years. I removed it twice yet, and both times a piece grew back. One cane rooted that was left on the ground. It grows head sized leaves on total neglect. I can't kill it for a third time. So I was thinking of using it as a rootstock. i will harvest scion this fall, and graft in early spring. Not sure what type of graft I'll use?
    I may do a couple and hope one takes. This old vine is amazing to say the least. It will make a great rootstock.
    It rooted from a 12 inch cane just left on the ground. Cut on both ends.

• skyjs
    9 years ago

Nice job. Now you have to worry about trying some new tasty fruit and becoming addicted to more grafting. Congrats.
    John S
    PDX OR

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Canadian: if you have some old latex caulking around (even the supposed siliconized versions) it works very well for sealing tree wounds etc.
    I bought a tube for $.49 at a surplus store and it has worked wonderfully. It is also brown so it's aesthetically pleasing. I thought I had discovered something only to read later where many others use it.

If you are going to use electrical tape (I do also, but I'm an electrician so I have tons of the good 3M Scotch tape) would you mind a tip?
    Wrap your first wrap backwards so the sticky side is facing out, then turn it sticky side in for your next or final layer. It will stop the bark peeling in your photo (not a big deal I know), and will also be easier to remove...fold the last bit over to so it's easier to find the end. For temporary work this is known as a "courtesy tail" in the elect. industry. You can still stretch it to provide as much tension as you like.
    Or, you could just make the first wrap with parafilm and use the elect. tape for tension and pulling everything together, which is where parafilm falls short.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone

Clark - I chose the clef because it seemed like the easiest, most straight forward method. This is my second time trying to graft this tree. The first time I did it way too early and birds stole the scion. Still kinda sucked. I planted that 4 years ago and it seemed to be hardy above the snowline here, and without grafting it would be taller then I am (above 6 feet) in 4 years.

Konrad - The tape practically fell off. We had some heavy rains. I figured it was better to take it off because i dont want it cool and wet under the tape.

Drew - I believe grapes are budded, like roses. If the vine is that crazy, why not just root a few more and experiment? I will say, I have a himrod that does that. This year it popped out a lateish bud, and it has grown 8 feet since july, amazing growth.

Sky - I have a lot of seedling trees planted. I have 14 fruit trees in a 120x20 space, so room to add big trees is sparse. I plan to take a few main trees which are completely hardy and graft branches of different types of that species. Its the best and probably only way to get many types of fruit in a tight space and overcome pollination issues (like with my toka plum).

Apple - I was going to just use some warm parafin that will eventually break down. I try to not use anything that isnt biodegradable, with a few exceptions. Hard to find parafilm here , so I use the good grade tape. I thought of using the heavy rubber tape, but that stuff is like five bucks a foot.

• curtis
    9 years ago

the wax ring for a toilet base is a good source of sealer. Costs a couple bucks and stays good forever.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living