Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How drought tolerant are apple trees?

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 11:30

Yes I know it's dumb but I planted apple seeds. I cut into a Fuji apple this spring(?) and there were some big fat seeds in it that were already sprouting and I happened to have a container of potting soil sitting on my kitchen counter so now I have five little apple trees that have been sitting on my patio in pots all summer.

Do you think they could eventually handle root competition from other trees if I planted them along the south side of a tree line that's next to our hayfield? I know it's not likely that they would produce good quality apples but maybe apples for wildlife such as deer. Bad idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How drought tolerant are apple trees?

Around here, they would be food for the deer the first winter if you didn't put protective cylinders of fencing around them. After that, there would be no trees left to cause you to worry about root competition. Northwoodswis

o

Seedling apple trees are pretty drought tolerant. So if you go to all the trouble of getting them past deer they will compete with other trees. But it will probably take at least 10 years before they are able to compete for water and survive deer scrapes and munching without fencing.

o

These will be standard sized trees with roots well able to compete, if you can get them above the deer. In this case I would start my scaffolds at least six feet off the ground. Deer will be happy to eat the apples as they fall. With no care they will be a magnet for disease, which may not be the best for fruit trees in your neighborhood. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here