Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blueberry bushes

Posted by seanc_bb 06791 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 11:32

I have posted prior on rehabilitation of a blueberry field.

There is quite alot of bittersweet vine's in my bushes. Is there a herbicide that will selectively kill the bittersweet but spare my blueberry bushes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
America's Least Wanted Plants

Depending upon which one of the bittersweet vines (there are three different vines called Bittersweet), lowering the pH of the soil might help.

The native, non-invasive, and endangered American/False Bittersweet vines likes acid soils around 5 just as blueberry bushes prefer.

The non-native, invasive, and most common Asian Bittersweet Vine perfers soil ph about 6.

I'm not sure about the other less common Nightshade Bittersweet.

You've probably got the Asian Bittersweet Vine or a hybrid of it and the American. Lowering the soil pH won't kill it, but it will help control it, while you manage to eradicate it completely. The best way to kill it is to cut it off at the ground and paint the top of the stub with RoundUp. I normally hate RoundUp, but with some weeds there is hardly any other way. If you try to spray the vines with RoundUP, you will kill your blueberries, but you can cut the vines, and paint the stubs without getting it on the blueberries.

Every one of the Bittersweet berries will produce more vines, so getting the soil pH down to 5 will help your blueberries and slow the vines down.

Good Luck, maybe someday it and kudzu's ranges will overlap, and they will wipe one-another out.

Greg

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Bittersweet vine

o
RE: blueberry bushes

Thanks Greg.

I was figuring it was going to be rip and tear and then paint on roundup on everything the broken bits. A forrester who surveyed my land said it is asian bittersweet...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here