Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what diseases to watch out for with scion wood swaps?

Posted by cousinfloyd 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 11:37

Thomis in the thread on eliminating poor apple varieties said that he doesn't want to swap scion wood any more because he received badly diseased wood. I thought I'd start a new thread to explore that tangent. I assume some diseases might simply kill the scion, but what diseases (and with which species) are potential long-term problems and how contagious are they? What diseases are you all particularly careful about?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what diseases to watch out for with scion wood swaps?

My own sad experience has only been with peach leaf curl. Nearly wiped out my bench grafts the first year, certainly weakened them. Scions should be doused with LS before use, seems to me.

o

axel_sc started a thread a while back with some better info than i can give.

(attached)

Here is a link that might be useful: evils of exchanging scion wood

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 16:08

Steve,

Funny, here near Portland, OR I assume Peach Leaf curl is ever present in the environment.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 19:13

Peach leaf curl isn't transmitted via scionwood. But it certainly could affect a new graft so would need spraying like any peach/nectarine.

Viruses are the main concern. Plum pox virus is one example. It is widely present in Europe. So importing scion wood from another region could bring a virus with it.

I've got viruses in my stone fruit. In fact a tree planted this year seems infected. So far it hasn't affected the fruit that I can tell but I am concerned and taking out some trees.

I've never exchanged scionwood with anyone. So I'm not sure where it came from. Could be I was sold infected trees.

o

fruitnut, I'm really surprised to hear that you haven't ever exchanged scionwood. As much of a fruit nut as you are, you must have had to try hard to avoid it, no? I'm curious to hear why you haven't. Is it all about virus concern? If you buy a new variety already grafted are you that much safer than grafting it yourself? Or are commercial sources really a lot safer?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 9:46

floyd:

Commercial sources should be safer. They should test their mother trees every year. But it may amount to nothing more than the eyeball test, does the tree look OK.

Some pictures of my trees that possibly have virus infection are linked below. I posted the pictures on DWN forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: stone fruit virus pictures

o

The question isn't about the general danger of viruses but about the added danger of acquiring wood from sources where viruses are not screened. I believe that licensed commercial nurseries, unlike mine, begin with wood that is carefully screened for viruses.

Viruses that affect productivity of apples are quite common but in all my years of grafting wood from unscreened sources I've never noticed the affects myself. Based on my experience in the northeast- the problems may be different elsewhere- I've decided not to worry about tainted scion wood.

o

Two years back, we have grown appe in our orchid. We have ordered budwood for several apple varieties from Botner. The budded trees are now growing in my orchard! So far they are healthy.

o

Two years back, we have grown appe in our orchid. We have ordered budwood for several apple varieties from Botner. The budded trees are now growing in my orchard! So far they are healthy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here