Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grapes on a split rail fence possible?

Posted by m_taggart 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 11:49

I've fallen in love with muscadine grapes this year and would like to grow some of my own. The only location in my yard with enough sunlight is in the front, parallel to the drive way. We live in a residential neighborhood, so a proper trellis is likely not an option (due to my wife's tastes). I'm thinking I could put in a split rail fence, which would have the benefit of appearing attractive and supporting a grape vine. Any reason I couldn't make this work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grapes on a split rail fence possible?

Won't work....just kidding. Muscadines are weeds...they are so vigorous they will grow ANYWHERE. My neighbor has a rail fence and it is covered in wild muscadines and it is in mostly shade. Your fence will work 100% guarantee it.

o

I have pastures full of Muscadines. They seem to grow everywhere. I just back my truck under them and cut off the vines to get the grapes to make wine. The more you cut them back the faster they grow. They will grow like crazy on the fence.

o

sounds like they will end up crushing your fence.. is that ok with momma??

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here