Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattpf

Brookgold plum taste?

mattpf (zone4)
11 years ago

I'm very limited to types of hardy plums right now. I'm wondering pembina are not that good kinda sour skin but if ripe they taste good.

How are Brookgold plums for fresh eating say compared to pembina?

Comments (10)

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Just harvest some Brookred, I also have the gold, find most of the Japanese plums have sour bitter skin and also get soggy soon when ripe. I'm in favor of European prune type plums, free stone, better for processing, like drying freezing etc.

I only have two, [European] yellow firm plums which are better for out of hand eating, Green Gage and Mirabelle, this last one being freestone and sugar sweet, which I will test to dehydrate some this year and see how they turn out.

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

I should be out picking apples but a cold front has hit with rain and wind, the first greengage has dropped so I went out and picked some, ..must say, this year with all the heat and well open tree has made this one a WOW!

I would say a semi freestone.

• mattpf (zone4)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm set on one more tree. Went today to look at some mature Brookgold but they were beaten pretty bad so I did not want to drop $400 on a tree in that shape.
    I'm really set on Asian plum or another apricot variety but cannot find anything but westcot.
    Any leads on any other variety of apricots in Calgary area

• mattpf (zone4)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And I've got two European blue plum trees already . I can't wait for those to mature they are one of the nicest trees

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Supreme Plum is pretty poplar,..just picked them [picture] but similar to a Pembina.

• mattpf (zone4)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Konrad nice photos please share some of your Brookgold and brookred on the trees.
    Out of curiosity how old is plum tree in that last picture you just posted.whats the growth rate up there.

I'm trying to determine what tree would be nicer in my front north facing yard. It probably will have to be a very hardy variety in the front fully exposed to elements . I'm stuck between the two brooks and a apricot tree variety

• mattpf (zone4)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Konrad nice photos please share some of your Brookgold and brookred on the trees.
    Out of curiosity how old is plum tree in that last picture you just posted.whats the growth rate up there.

I'm trying to determine what tree would be nicer in my front north facing yard. It probably will have to be a very hardy variety in the front fully exposed to elements . I'm stuck between the two brooks and a apricot tree variety

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

This Gold from last year, don't have any for the fruit show coming up at the Devonian Botanic Garden on the 16. Hopefully the Brook-red can hold on till then, perhaps you can make it, also, we have scion wood exchange come spring, April.
    People come from Calgary every year it seems.

{{gwi:124023}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit Grower's Festival

• mattpf (zone4)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Konrad which is a nicer looking tree...
    Brookgold,brookred,pembina or westcot?
    It's going in front of my home .

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Hard to say, ..I probably would put in the westcot.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz