Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Air Layering grapes

Posted by poolecw Georgia 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 11:57

Is it too late in the year to try to propagate muscadine and concord grapes using the two litter bottle air layering method? (first week of Sept)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Air Layering grapes

Poole,

It is a lot easier to start grape cutting in the early spring. Just cut about a foot and a half of the fruiting cane from last year growth with five buds on it of each varieties. Trim out the lower 3 buds and stick them about half way into the tilt soil or pots. They will sprout out like weeds.

Tony

This post was edited by tonytran on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 13:15

o

Pool,

I think you have enough time.

o

Question: How old is your muscadine vine(s)? How thick is the main trunk?

o

Yeah, you probably can, but seems like more work than it's worth.

Just do your normal pruning and stick the cuttings in the ground.

o

copingwithclay, these are 2 yr old vines with trunks slightly bigger than a pencil. I had two plant die on me this summer and I wanted to propagate some replacements.

yukkyuri kame,
I want to try multiple methods to see what works better. Muscadines tend to do better with green wood propagation (from all the reading I've done)

I appreciate the comments.

o

poole: I have also had young bare root vines die in the first year after being planted. I would MUCH prefer just ordering a few more young, inexpensive vines in Winter and planting them. Your young living vine would serve you better if you cared for it well with moisture and food for several more years, than greatly interrupting it's progress by chopping it in half when it has only a small root system.Think in terms of years rather than expecting a quick result....like when growing tomatoes.

o

You are right. I guess I'm just trying to jump ahead too fast!

o

Muscadines root very poorly from hardwood cuttings (dormant) and greenwood cuttings generally need intermittent but frequent misting (with timers and such).

You could layer a muscadine runner into the ground now though and check it for roots next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here