Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dehydrator?

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 12:49

I might like to purchase something a bit larger then the average unit most people have, ..more like a commercial type, I know they can cost several thousand but this one from Cabelas sounds like a good bang for your money, around $300/400.

Anybody has this unit,..any good?
I'm looking for a unit which can dry lots of apples easy and fast.

Here is a link that might be useful: dehydrator

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dehydrator?

My brother has one just like that. It is the size of a dishwasher and from the picture may be a little taller than what you are looking at. He has had good results with it and periodically brings things over that he has dried. Don't know how the drying speed is, but the results have been good.

o

Great!
It's too bad that Cabelas Canada does not stock this item, they tell me I have to order in US,..have tried but they don't ship ground, only air and that alone is around $110.

Thinking now, if I know the manufacturer of this unit, then I would be able to search if another store in Canada is stocking this. Could you please find out for me? Probably on the back of the dehydrator somewhere?

o

I'll see what I can find.

o

Maybe get ahold of some homesteaders or some commercial jerky shops? They may have an idea, or even a spare? Maybe some butcher shops may have an idea?

o

Thank you all!
Good idea canadianplant!

They make two sizes, a 80 liter and 160, since it's in metric it seems it's not made in the US,...maybe Canada, most likely not, too cheap, must be another Chinese import?

o

I've always heard the Excaliber was worth considering. May be easier to find as well.

o

The 160 liter size I would like is about $3500.00 from Excaliber.

o

Konrad,
For later drying or when cold, I've used a woodstove, aluminum baking racks (where they stack trays of donuts) with big stainless screens for insert. Ideally there should be air flow up/down and side by side. Set up some fans on low. Be caeful not to suck in smoke. Park the sliced apples on racks 6' away or so. Chose a high acid apple like sun crisp. I did a bunch of those, no dip. Slice apple let sit for 8rhs to check.
Noogy

o

This may not help, but if you're at all handy at carpentry you can make a cabinet and wood frames with screening. My dehydrator uses an Edison base heating element. I've been using it for over 20 years now. Luckily my neighbor is a carpenter. I traded him half a pig for the dehydrator. I think I was the lucky one on that trade!

http://www.processheating.com/coneheater.htm

o

Thank you all!
Some good advice!
Bought one today.
Since I need one right now and Cabela had this one on sale, [smaller] $50.00 off, it went for $200.00 [Canadian]
10 tray 21" tall 17,5" wide 19.5" deep, rear mounted van.
I think one needs at least two sizes anyway to run them efficient, ... always full.

Here is a link that might be useful: dehydrator

o

Nice score Konrad!!! Concidering the prices posted on here you got a decent deal..

Also, a LOL... This add was on the pottom of my "preveiw post" buttom":

Ads by Google
Sale Excalibur Dehydrator
Model 3900-$269 3500-$249 2400-$139 Free Shipping in CAN 1-877-535-9562
www.juicers4life.com

o

Harvest Maid at a yard sale 25 years ago for $50 and it works constantly for about a month for tomatoes, apples, asian pears, prunes, blueberries. I do some herbs, but have not done vegetables. There are eight trays with about 1.5 sq.foot. It takes about 14 -16 hours to dry prunes. It also works well for fruit leather. I have seen them advertized on Craigs List.
I would go with another similar unit, but not a larger one. My husband made me a much larger dryer. It works well but trays need shifting and turning. Plus it is a lot of work to get it full.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here