Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Harvesting quince

Scott F Smith
16 years ago

I have a couple dozen quinces that are starting to turn yellow. Is that the best guide for harvest? I have a book that says you want to let them hang as long as possible, and then you need to store them in a cool spot for a month or so to get some flavor.

Scott

Comments (6)

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

Yes, let them on tree as long as possible, usually when the first few fall down, then I would pick the nice
    yellow ones.
    As a kid at home in Switzerland, I used to climb this very large tree to pick some, also with the ladder from
    the outside, then I had to deliver them. I don't remember storing them for too long.
    Perhaps someone can help out on this.
    Konrad

• squeeze
    16 years ago

the flavor is there as soon as the fuzz is fully formed and wipes off easily .... depending on what you expect to do with them, you can make jelly or juice as soon as they're picked fully golden yellow .... hopefully you don't expect to eat them straight!!

Bill

• larry_gene
    16 years ago

Like any tree fruit, falling fruit is a good clue that fruit on the tree is getting ripe.

If you only have 2 dozen fruits and do not wish to have any of this small crop fall and bruise, try to wait until they are largely yellow and have a fruity odor when sniffed up close. They will then be fully flavored.

From my experience, trying to store quince for a month would be futile. It would require very exacting conditions to prevent brown rot.

They will continue to ripen (slowly) when brought indoors. Leaving them out in rainy conditions promotes splitting.

• murkwell
    16 years ago

Larry, the pineapple quince you shared with me last year kept pretty well at least 2 or 3 weeks. I'm looking forward to the tree I made from scions of yours to bear some day. I'll have to go take a look at it when the sun comes up.

• larry_gene
    16 years ago

Yes, if the feijoas are picked a little firm they will last a long time, especially in the fridge.

Welcome back from your trip; I think you missed the earthquakes.

Two feijoa plants in SE Portland vicinity fire station 25 have been removed, other edibles remain in that yard. I hope to come across the owner some day and ask what went wrong.

• murkwell
    16 years ago

Thanks Larry.

I was refering to the quince as lasting. Isn't the variety of your quince tree "Pineapple"? That's how I have my new one labeled.

The single Feijoa fruit still hangs. It has definitely grown, it is now the size of a cherry pit! :)

ps
    I'm glad to be back but my sleep cycle will be messed up for at least a weak. I was in a sushi joint on the 5th floor when the earthquakes hit. Singapore is completely sheltered by Malaysia. I didn't even feel it but others did.