Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfbaygardener

Where can I find 'Besson' and 'Andre' Feijoa varieties!?

sfbaygardener
13 years ago

please help?! I've heard these are the best varieties, but I would like to hear your opinion aswell as where I can find them! :) I like non-gritty flesh with nice aroma. aswell as liking coastal regions :)

thanks for your help guys and gals! :)

~Mike

Comments (9)

• pylot
    13 years ago

I would recommend contacting Mark Albert in Ukiah, he's the local feijoa expert. I got two plants from him this spring.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

Check also with your local chapter of the California Rare Fruit Growers. www.crfg.org Al

• sfbaygardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nice, do you know how I might be able to get ahold of Mark Albert? an email maybe? thanks for the help guys!

~Mike

• pylot
    13 years ago

His email is albert (his last name) at pacific.net

He has dozens of in ground feijoas he bred himself, and sometimes sells plants. I think his cultivars are called Albert Supreme and Albert's Pride that are supposed to be better than any other that would grow in Nor Cal. Mine haven't fruited yet so I can't say how well they do in SF.

• modern_miss
    10 years ago

Hi Mike and pylot,
    I'd love an update on your feijoa--what varieties you like best of the ones you planted...I am planning on growing a few myself and would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks!
    MM

• Vladimir Kelman (6B/7A MD)
    6 years ago

Yes, any updates on this topic?

I'm already growing tree feijoa bushes, unknown varieties from Logee's and Edible Landscape. Just moved them from pots to a ground inside a greenhouse (zone 7). Interested in ones with best aromas, obviously, and possible most cold-hardy.

• PRO
    The Logician LLC
    6 years ago

Zone 7 feijoas will need to be kept under cover in winter. Magic temperature is +15F, below that may not bloom next year.

Plants sold without a varietal name are usually seedlings.

• Vladimir Kelman (6B/7A MD)
    6 years ago

Yes, I understand that. I had two plants in pots and was moving them inside for winters. But plants are getting bigger, so I decided to experiment: bought a light (and it turned out - low quality) greenhouse, moved feijoa plants into an open ground and put greenhouse on them. My plan is to use greenhouse for winter only, disassembling it at spring. I'm now considering ways of better insulation of greenhouse. Will put some leaves and manure around it, maybe cover greenhouse with bubble wrap.

• PRO
    The Logician LLC
    6 years ago

Just keeping a heat lamp (250 watts) on inside during cold spells may be sufficient.