Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting grapes from clipping

Posted by wittyraven 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 13:07

How would I go about doing this? I found someone a few hours away who has grape vines in their greenhouse and is willing to give me a clipping from pruning. When is the best time to get a clipping when trying to start a new plant? I'm planning to start on in my own green house, but to start it will be in a pot in the house until we can finish building the greenhouse next spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting grapes from clipping

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 15:37

Get the canes when your friend prunes, preferably in late spring before growth begins. Keep them damp not wet until you callus them. You either need to wait until it warms up outdoors or maintain 70+F soil temperature during callusing and rooting.

o

I am the lazyest person in the world. So gramp said. The day after 99% of the snow is gone I do yard cleanup on my rental houses. part of that is pruning back the grape vines. when I get home and throw the stuf on the burn pile I cut a few and stick them into last years compost pile. When it is time to work the compost into the garden I transplant the ones that look good anywhere between the pile and the garden. I have about a 50% grow rate. Now I am trying to figure out how to have them dry to raisins before I pick them. so I can pick into a vacume seal bag and just put them into the pantry.

o

I got some clipping as the buds started to swell (so later then normal) and stuck them in pots, all grew.

o

Grapes are easy from cuttings. In SoCal I can take them anytime after the leaves have dropped, but colder climates maybe better to wait for spring?

Cuttings should include at least 4 'nodes', and you will bury 2 of the nodes.

Stick them in the ground, compost pile, pot or a thick bag of potting soil. Water them sometimes.

Your friend will have plenty, because they are normally pruned aggressively.

Just because they have new leaves, doesn't mean they have a good root system and are ready to transplant. Probably easiest just to take several and stick 'em in the ground where you want them. Cull the weaker ones as 1 or 2 show themselves to be stronger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here