Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafted pawpaw died - replace it or just let the rootstock grow?

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 13:15

Last fall I planted a pair of pawpaw's I got from One Green World, Mango and Taytwo. Over the summer we had some very hot and sunny days after a prolonged cool and cloudy spring, the shade protection I put up was blown off and the Mango got toasted. The leaves all crisped up and fell off and when I saw growth again it was all coming from below the graft. I know I need a second pawpaw for pollination, and that seedlings can have good fruit. I'm wondering if I should just let it be and take my changes with the rootstock, or if I should go ahead and order a new tree to replace the grafted one that died.

If I decide to get a new tree I'll go with a different variety, since the Taytwo weathered the sun just fine I'm thinking a second one that could handle the heat would be nice. Any recommendations for a tasty pawpaw that is tolerant of sun and heat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafted pawpaw died - replace it or just let the rootstock gr

A second Taytoo would not solve your pollination problems as it would be generically identical to the first. You could let the rootstock grow but it could be quite some time before it bloomed and you would be taking a chance on the quality of pawpaws it produced. Safest bet would be to replace the tree or graft a known superior variety upon it.

o

Sorry, I misread your question. The Duckworth varieties are supposed to be low chill and were bred in Florida but I really know little about them. In trials some varieties have done better than others in the sun and heat. Rappahonnock, which a few years back had won the best tasting pawpaw contest at the Ohio festival, has shown good resilience. Sunflower has also done well in the heat - this one has its fans as well as its detractors.

o

I would surely call Cliff England from England Nursery in Kentucky. He knows and grows lots of pawpaws. The variety Prima 1216 was bred in Italy from a seedling of Sunflower. I'd bet this one would be good in CA. Italy is pretty hot and dry in the summer with a climate similar to CA.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here