Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssmccook

Help with a large guava tree

ssmccook
15 years ago

Hi I have a very large guava tree in the front yard of a rental property and the landlord does nothing with it so I am looking for some information on how and when to cut back/prune/fertilize all that stuff....

This tree stands at least 15'-20' high and the first branch from the ground is at 6'... It produces fruit every year but it is always small and dry meat inside...It get no more water or fertilizer than the grass in the yard (prob 3 times a week for 10 min early in the morning)

The problem I am facing is that the branches have never been cut back so they have grown very long (6'-10') and the fruit which is only on the new growth it all at the ends of the branches...This is causing the branches to droop, some of which to the ground...

I would like to trim this tree back towards the trunk but i dont want to kill it..Does anyone have a method for this? How much should I cut? When should i do it? and is there some foloow up with water/fertilizer t hat I should do after the cut back?

This year I am simply going to thin out the fruit while it is still green...Will be taking about half of the fruit from each branch..This should allow this pruduction of fruit to be more juicy and flavorfull, but after that i want to trim it all back....

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner