Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with a large guava tree

Posted by ssmccook 90026 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 16, 08 at 13:16

Hi I have a very large guava tree in the front yard of a rental property and the landlord does nothing with it so I am looking for some information on how and when to cut back/prune/fertilize all that stuff....

This tree stands at least 15'-20' high and the first branch from the ground is at 6'... It produces fruit every year but it is always small and dry meat inside...It get no more water or fertilizer than the grass in the yard (prob 3 times a week for 10 min early in the morning)

The problem I am facing is that the branches have never been cut back so they have grown very long (6'-10') and the fruit which is only on the new growth it all at the ends of the branches...This is causing the branches to droop, some of which to the ground...

I would like to trim this tree back towards the trunk but i dont want to kill it..Does anyone have a method for this? How much should I cut? When should i do it? and is there some foloow up with water/fertilizer t hat I should do after the cut back?

This year I am simply going to thin out the fruit while it is still green...Will be taking about half of the fruit from each branch..This should allow this pruduction of fruit to be more juicy and flavorfull, but after that i want to trim it all back....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with a large guava tree

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 16, 08 at 15:20

I never pruned a guava tree, but I have pruned a lot of other fruiting plants. Here is my guess:

1) trim all dead wood, any time
2) this coming winter, trim 1/3 of the live wood. Cut at a juncture, leaving no spurs. In its final version (3 years later), a small bird should be able to fly through the tree.
If some branches are too long, cut them short somewhere where there is a side branch, so they have less of a lever arm next year
3) next spring give it compost and water, and thin the fruits as you are doing now

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here