Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poolecw

Shade loving fruits/berries?

poolecw
10 years ago

What are some fruit or berry plants that thrive in 100% shade? I've got a lot of places on my property that never gets any sun, though I would love to make use of these areas.

Comments (5)

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Thrive? None that I know of.

• Ernie
    10 years ago

I'm successfully growing wineberries in a location that gets only an hour or so of full sun daily, so they might be worth a try. They've also proven to be very robust and aren't troubled by the pest and disease problems that afflict my other cane fruits.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

There is one that gets bigger in the shade,the Evergreen Huckleberry,but fruits better with more sunlight.
    I'm not sure if it will grow in your area though.
    Pawpaws and Elderberries may work.
    How about mushrooms?:) Brady

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

I agree on Wineberries. I had some grow (on their own) on the north side of my house. Even with very little sun, they fruited profusely this year. But, I did notice the canes which draped into by front porch area (under the overhang, with almost zero direct sun) weren't as sweet (by quite a margin) as the ones with an hour or two of direct sun each day.

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

I asked this question a while ago. I ended up getting Crandell current. Oddly enough I decided my pawpaw will claim this space since almost everything does better with a little shade in Denver.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruiting plant in full shade?

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County