Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olpea

Euro plum on peach roots?

olpea
10 years ago

This year for the first time, I budded a few Euro plums on peach rootstock. I budded two this morning.

In the past I had heard Euro plums were incompatible with peach roots, so I never tried it.

Someone on GardenWeb mentioned success with the combination, so that encouraged me to give it a try this year.

If there is a delayed incompatibility, I thought if nothing else, I could bury grafts below the soil line to encourage the plum scions to root out.

I just did a little Googling to seek a little more information on just what graft incompatibility I might expect and came up with the paper linked below.

This paper was written in 1962, so it's old. Nevertheless, the paper indicates most of the prune orchards were planted on peach roots at that time.

The paper also surprised me indicating a number of advantages of growing prune (i.e. Euro) plums on peach roots.

1. Earlier bearing
2. Less suckering
3. Earlier maturing fruit (could be an advantage or disadvantage)
4. Trees are less affected by trunk cankers
5. Less gopher damage
6. Less blow-over damage from wind

The paper also stated some disadvantages:

1. Less tolerant of water-logged soils
2. Less drought tolerant
3. More susc. to replant disease
4. More susc. to Oak root rot fungus

The paper didn't mention any compatibility problems, which I suppose wouldn't be easily observed since most of the prune orchards were using peach roots at the time.

Now I'm wondering where I ever read Euro plums are not compatible with peach roots?

I still don't have any experience with this combo myself (I don't even know if the few buds I've done will take) but it appears prune plums are fully compatible with peach roots (I ran across a few other websites which list Lovell as compatible with prune.)

Does anyone have any info that Euros are not fully compatible with peach? I believed this to be true for a long time, but now I'm wondering if it was a myth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prune Rootstocks for Western Oregon

Comments (3)