Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Euro plum on peach roots?

Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 13:41

This year for the first time, I budded a few Euro plums on peach rootstock. I budded two this morning.

In the past I had heard Euro plums were incompatible with peach roots, so I never tried it.

Someone on GardenWeb mentioned success with the combination, so that encouraged me to give it a try this year.

If there is a delayed incompatibility, I thought if nothing else, I could bury grafts below the soil line to encourage the plum scions to root out.

I just did a little Googling to seek a little more information on just what graft incompatibility I might expect and came up with the paper linked below.

This paper was written in 1962, so it's old. Nevertheless, the paper indicates most of the prune orchards were planted on peach roots at that time.

The paper also surprised me indicating a number of advantages of growing prune (i.e. Euro) plums on peach roots.

1. Earlier bearing
2. Less suckering
3. Earlier maturing fruit (could be an advantage or disadvantage)
4. Trees are less affected by trunk cankers
5. Less gopher damage
6. Less blow-over damage from wind

The paper also stated some disadvantages:

1. Less tolerant of water-logged soils
2. Less drought tolerant
3. More susc. to replant disease
4. More susc. to Oak root rot fungus

The paper didn't mention any compatibility problems, which I suppose wouldn't be easily observed since most of the prune orchards were using peach roots at the time.

Now I'm wondering where I ever read Euro plums are not compatible with peach roots?

I still don't have any experience with this combo myself (I don't even know if the few buds I've done will take) but it appears prune plums are fully compatible with peach roots (I ran across a few other websites which list Lovell as compatible with prune.)

Does anyone have any info that Euros are not fully compatible with peach? I believed this to be true for a long time, but now I'm wondering if it was a myth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prune Rootstocks for Western Oregon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Euro plum on peach roots?

Adam's has slipped that combination on me with J. plums and if you live where borers or drainage can be a problem, myro is far superior IMO.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 15:27

" ...if you live where borers or drainage can be a problem, myro is far superior IMO."

Definitely, but even if they need to be planted in well drained soil, that's seems to be an easy tradeoff for me. Once the drainage is right, they are easy to manage. Plus peach seedlings come up everywhere (like weeds) so that's the rootstock material I have available.

I bought some J. plums from Johnson Nursery once. They were on peach roots and seem to take roughly the same care as peaches. For longevity, I wonder if a plum on Myro would live longer?

o

Yeah, I'm not saying you shouldn't use them at all, just want people to know the liabilities in some situations.

I doubt the rootstock is what makes peaches somewhat short lived, but I don't know. Here borers sometimes seem to take out old trees, though. Not sure if trees lost vigor and then became susceptible or the borers took the vigor to begin with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here