Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gooseberry cuttings

Posted by sage721 6 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 20, 09 at 14:04

I obtained some gooseberry cuttings (unknown varieties) this morning... They are currently sitting in a glass of water... Took some woody cuttings and some that were still a bit 'green'... Planning on putting them in perlite and seeing what happens... Any advice would be very much welcomed... Never tried to root gooseberry before, wondering what will work/ any better methods...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gooseberry cuttings

The traditional ways of propagating gooseberries are 'mounding' and layering. Cuttings will work but they are not as easy as red or black currants. I have done them just by sticking the cuttings into my ordinary harden soil and waiting. If you have plenty of material I would just do that and some will be successful. If you only have a few cuttings I would insert them into an open mixture in pots, protect from animals and leave them in a sheltered place outdoors through the winter. Expect them to lose their leaves. In the spring you should see signs of life.

o

Thanks a bunch... Gettin kinda late in the season for anything to happen before the first frost (couple weeks at best), but you recommend leaving them outside for the winter? I was thinking of bringing them inside with the rest of the potted plants. And, i brought a good handful of cuttings and and could always go get more in the spring if i don't get lucky with this bunch..

o

Reviving an oldish post, but I'm curious for expertise in this matter. I have a gooseberry plant, two years old now (from 2 year stock, I think) that is setting berries this year. Loving the plant - very low maintenance, pretty bright green bush, and one of the first things to flower this year.

Can I take cuttings from it and root in my usual way (ph-adjusted water with hydroponic fertilizer) now? Or should I wait? My idea would be to establish a cutting in the ground in August/September so it can come back in the spring. Or should I take the cutting in August and overwinter the cutting indoors and plant it next spring?

I also have the same question about wild black raspberries (i.e., "black caps") that grow in the field down the road. I'd like to take a few cuttings to root hydroponically and then plant in the ground. Now, as fruiting season approaches - or later?

Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here