Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinacristina_gw

What kind of fruit is this?

tinacristina
9 years ago

My husband and I purchased a home with 3 acres about 2 months ago. There are so many fruit tress but this one we can't figure out what it is. The tree is on irrigation so we know it was planted there on purpose and many years ago.

The fruit at this time is turning red and about an inch and half around. Although I did find a fruit that was as big as 2.5 inches around. So perhaps these will grow larger but I tasted the small red fruit and it taste good. Almost like a plum. White meat inside and a few tiny seeds.

It states on our home listing that we owned an Italian prune plum tree but this fruit is red and not purple and the leaves also do not appear to be the same.

The fruit is growing in clusters and the tree must be 18' tall. But gosh if I know what this is. Any body here know? Thank you for your input.

Comments (5)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

It's clearly not a plum of any kind. The leaves don't look like an apple but the fruit looks something like that. If you cut the fruit in cross section does it have the partitions like an apple or pear?

• andrew_swmo
    9 years ago

The fruit looks similar to guava.

• fabaceae_native
    9 years ago

I agree with andrew321: my guess would be strawberry guavaâ¦

I wish I had something so exotic growing here when I showed up!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

It is a strawberry guava.

If it helps: much to the neighbors dismay, I cut our 12+ foot tall hedge down to about 5 feet tall one year. (Dad was a garden hoarder...you can imagine the view even after years of cleaning up but the Feds wanted to hang their bug traps for months and I had 30 minutes to cut or wait months) It was all just tall arm sized trunks and looked horrible for a few months. It is now a thick full 6 foot hedge producing fruit (not that I eat them) And looks better than it ever has.

So you can cut and restore if you want a hedge or smaller tree

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

There is also a yellow type called "Lemon Guava". Same growth habits and fruit size. I grow both and prefer the yellow. My lemon is always loaded with fruit like your picture but my Strawberry fruits sporadically. It should be noted neither are true guavas.