Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
interesting articles on fruit growing

Posted by harvestman 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 14:15

I tried to post this earlier but somehow it was not picked up. I was e-mailed a free copy of Tree Fruit Magazine (Australia) and there are a couple very interesting articles about growing tree fruit- especially the one about cherry extension growth. I can't post a link but you can find the web site through google and it provides free access to the current issue.

The article tells of research that indicates you can increase the sugar of cherries by pruning back annual growth a week before the fruit ripens and also reduce cracking.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: interesting articles on fruit growing

http://www.treefruit.com.au/index.php/2012-02-11-05-40-34/crop-growth-management/item/288-managing-extension-growth-in-cherries-part-2

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 16:05

The way I read it brix increased from 16 to 16.7, really!! Cherries are the one fruit I don't have to work at to get brix 25-32. Maybe they are harvesting too soon or maybe their trees are over cropped. I don't know but 16-17 brix isn't that good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Fruit home

o

Whatever their final reading doesn't matter- for those of us in areas where more sugar would help it is useful info IMO.

I'm also wondering if the general principle might apply to other fruit, where pruning vegetative wood above fruit is helpful when done shortly before ripening but harmful if done much earlier. I believe it applies to peaches and I've been managing summer pruning of peaches to coincide with this, except I've been doing it a bit earlier. Pretty hard to get every tree a week before ripening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here